Dr. Segal, Chair, Anesthesiology
The Department of Anesthesiology at Wake Forest School of Medicine is one of the top five anesthesia training programs in the United States. We consider ourselves the absolute best teaching anesthesia residency in the country. Because there is no formal ranking we present the following as evidence of our assertion:
- Forty-five members of our department are on the 2014 Best Doctors in America list. This is just over one-half of our current clinical faculty. This reflects our strength in the clinical arena.
- We have had full accreditation of our core anesthesiology residency program from the ACGME Anesthesia Residency Review Committee for three decades. This reflects our strength in graduate medical education.
- We have eight different faculty members (3 MDs,
4 PhDs, 1 MD,PhD) who are principal investigators on nine major National
Institutes of Health grants (7 R01s, 1 R37, and 1 R21). Four members of the
faculty are also principal investigators on two Department of Defense subawards
and a fellowship and industry award. This reflects our strength in basic and
- Fifteen members of our faculty have become chairs of departments of anesthesiology, most recently Dr. Michael Wall at The University of Minnesota. This reflects our depth and strength in faculty recruitment and leadership development.
- The Editor-in-Chief of Anesthesiology, the major journal of the profession, is Dr. James Eisenach, one of our faculty members. The editorial office of Anesthesiology and the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation Newsletter is in our department. The department supports one of few laboratories for the diagnosis of malignant hyperthermia in the United States. This reflects our commitment to improve the science and practice of anesthesiology.
- Our faculty members are very active in supporting the profession: 1)
two are former Directors and President of the American
Board of Anesthesiology (ABA); 2) five are current oral board examiners
for the ABA; and 3) approximately eight faculty
have given refresher course lectures at the annual meeting of the
American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA). This reflects how well our
faculty members are perceived nationally.
- We consistently publish 90-110 articles, chapters, editorials, reviews, and abstracts per year. This reflects our commitment to academic anesthesiology.
- For twenty consecutive years we have sponsored one of the best anesthesia CME meetings in the country, entitled “Advances in Physiology and Pharmacology in Anesthesia and Critical Care,” at either the Greenbrier Resort in West Virginia or at one of the Atlantic coast beach resorts.
We also recognize that we cannot rely on our past accomplishments and must constantly strive to improve our clinical practice, our teaching efforts, our research activities, and our service.