The Nurse Anesthesia Program is committed to providing equal consideration to all applicants, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual preference, or physical or mental disability. Students are selected for admission competitively, based on their academic record, character and general fitness for the study of anesthesia nursing.
Prerequisites for admission include:
- Bachelor of Science degree in nursing or related field from an accredited program (NLNAC, CCNE, or regional accreditation)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in nursing and supporting course
- Satisfactory completion of undergraduate courses in biostatistics or statistics (preferably including inferential) and chemistry (3 semester hours each)
- Satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination (preferred) or the Miller Analogy Test within the past 5 years. We will consider the highest score achieved, and expect a candidate to score above the 50th percentile (approximately 300 combined score on the GRE).
- Current licensure as a registered nurse - (NC licensure required for matriculation)
- A minimum of one year (2,080 hours) of full-time experience within the 2 years prior to application in an intensive care or coronary care unit. Clinical experience must be direct patient care which demonstrates independent decision-making (time in orientation or in managerial positions is not applicable). Management of vasoactive infusions, invasive monitors, ventilator modalities, sedative and paralytic drugs and blood test interpretation are examples of experiences most applicable to nurse anesthesia study.
- Certification in BLS and ACLS
- The ability to comply with all hospital policies and to carry out the physical aspects of the position
Use our self-evaluation tool to assess your qualifications.
Following the 2013 interview season, we note that we continue to have a very strong applicant pool. Those candidates accepted into our new class have an average GPA of 3.6, GRE of 308 (verbal + quantitative), ICU experience of 2.9 years, and RN experience of 3.4 years.