NBCRNA-recognized Step Two Simulation Center
The Wake Forest School of Medicine Nurse Anesthesia Program is approved by the National Board of Certification and Re-certification for Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA) as a provider for Stage 2 of the reentry process; simulation-based validation of skills.
A Quality Simulation Experience
Forest has been a leader in simulation-based education, with multiple
simulation labs across our two campuses. We were a pioneer in
multi-disciplinary simulation, with surgeons, SRNAs, and nurses all working
together in simulation events.
Our state-of-the-art simulation center in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter provides a comfortable and professional environment for learning, training, practice, review, update, and validation. Additionally our teaching and clinical skills labs provide for a rich and valuable educational experience.
Simulation-based NBCRNA Skills Validation
completing Stage 1 (continuing education and passing the certification
examination), reentry candidates go to a simulation site recognized by the
NBCRNA to have their clinical skills validated in simulated patient care
experience is not only a required portion of the reentry process, but it is a
great confidence-builder for CRNAs who have been out of practice a few years.
Our NBCRNA-approved reentry process includes:
- Introduction to simulation
- Use of anesthesia machines
- Environment to supporting participants’ success in completing Stage 2 requirements
- Carefully-crafted scenarios which allow you to demonstrate the skills required for reentry to certification.
Two-day Simulation Curriculum
- Program overview
- Orientation to the simulation center
- Simulation and debrief 5 scenarios
- Review and clarify outstanding information from
day 1 simulations
- Required skills validation in simulation
The required skills include critical events such as:
- Myocardial infarction under anesthesia
- Unstable arrhythmias
- Regional anesthesia
- High spinal
- Obstructed endotracheal tube
Cost To Attend:
The fee for attending a two-day approved skills validation program is $1,650 and includes cost of materials and required faculty support. We offer a 15% discount to participants who complete Stage 1 continuing education requirements with CRNA Review and Update (registration for simulation required at the time of Stage 1 attendance).
Continued Learning Options
Individuals wanting to brush up or learn new skills (outside of certification requirements) can work with faculty members to construct
individual learning plans (additional fees apply) to hone skills such
- Spinal and epidural insertion
- Ultrasound guidance for regional anesthesia
- Central line insertion