Programs for students already accepted to a CRNA program
H3A: Tri-Development in Nurse Anesthesia
H3A is a unique program to foster the success of nurses who aspire to be excellent anesthetists. Development is focused on the three critical "H's" of success: technical knowledge (head), self-awareness of one's personality, strengths and weaknesses (heart), and competence with manual skills (hands). There are three tracks of the H3A program, titled Gateway, Portal, and Segue. Each is for a different stage of the career trajectory, but all serve as your directional compass to success in anesthesia.
The Portal track is specially designed for the individual who has already been accepted into a nurse anesthesia program and serves as the portal to success as a student. This introductory course is based on a nationwide study we conducted of nurse anesthesia students to determine the most important areas of learning need for new students. Participants learn basic anesthesia nursing skills, and they receive an introduction to the study of nurse anesthesia.
Topics addressed in the three-day seminar include:
- Academic skills for success
- Learning style assessment and its application to successful academic skills
- The challenges involved in the study of nurse anesthesia
- Invasive airway management- routine and emergency techniques
- Anesthesia pharmacology
- Physics of oxygen storage and administration; demonstration of gas laws
- Neurologic system anatomy, and cardiovascular assessment
- Pulmonary, physiology, and management of mechanical ventilation
- Hands-on experiences in our laboratory with advanced skills such as laryngoscopy, spinal and epidural injections, and advanced vascular access techniques. Laboratory experiences will include practice on human specimens (subject to materials availability).
Also included will be:
- A "Role-model luncheon" including roundtable discussion with accomplished CRNAs of national stature, and program administrators.
- Candid discussion with other prospective and current students.
For those who have been granted admission to the Nurse Anesthesia Program, this seminar is highly recommended. By completing this seminar, you will have gained meaningful exposure to the challenges of being a student nurse anesthetist. You will also be armed with an understanding of your own additional learning needs, so that you may undertake additional individual preparation before you begin the program. The goal of this seminar is not only to improve your chance of success in the nurse anesthesia program, but also to make the transition smoother and less stressful. Due to the perceived value of this program in fostering success of anesthesia students, development of the H3A program was funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor.
In the H3A course, future nurse anesthesia students learn critical student success factors in the realms of academic and clinical skills.
Read some comments from participants in H3A:
- "Far exceeded expectations- I can't wait for August!"
- "I didn't expect the level of exposure we would get- Great job!"
- "All of the labs were outstanding!"
- "This seminar was amazing. It would also be helpful for those considering the profession to solidify their decision."
- "This whole course was excellent!"
- "This course exceeded my expectations by far!"
- "I would definately recommend this course to my peers! It was very well thought-out and executed.
- "It very much exceeded my expectations."
- "Overall great way to start off school."
- "The course was excellent. It really helped me realize what I need to do to be better prepared for school."
- "It made the next two years seem less scary!"
H3A graduates excited to embark on the pathway to success in their nurse anesthesia programs.
The H3A program was made possible with the assistance of the Piedmont Triad Partnership through a WIRED grant from the U.S. Department of Labor.
The next H3A Portal seminar will be held on July 18-19, 2013.
UPDATE: We have 3 spots remaining for the seminar. Click on H3A Portal Registration for brochure. It will be first come, first serve. Please email Robin Geisel at firstname.lastname@example.org with name and phone #. Once you have received a confirmation email from Robin, you can proceed with payment at that time.
Thank you for your interest in H3A Portal!
Please click on the following link to pay for the H3A Portal Seminar by credit card, Online Payments