Office of Cancer Health Equity
"Disparities in cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment account for a sizable fraction of cancer cases and cancer deaths. A central priority of the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is to eliminate cancer health disparities."
– Boris Pasche, MD, PhD
Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center
Our Mission: To facilitate
clinical care and research focused on improving outcomes for underserved
populations in our community. We will succeed in this mission by
supporting research focused on eliminating cancer disparities as well as
assuring the highest level of culturally competent clinical care for
Our Vision: The achievement of cancer health equity for the underserved populations of the communities we serve.
Our Values: Our approach to cancer health equity:
• Facilitate transdisciplinary clinical, basic and population research
• Community Outreach
The Three Pillars for Achieving Cancer Health Equity
Community Engagement and Outreach
- Implement or participate in community events with intent to increase understanding, knowledge and awareness of cancer risks, symptoms, appropriate cancer screening and treatment options with emphasis on clinical trials.
- Engage with community partners in improving access, screening and cancer care for diverse populations.
Education and Patient Navigation
- Provide educational materials, knowledgeable speakers and multimedia tools that address cancer disparities (e.g., clinical trials module, articles for community).
- Provide cancer support care to our patients, who face barriers to cancer care and are at high risk for inadequate or timely care. Will serve to promote and encourage clinical trial participation (e.g., Hispanic Clinical Trial Navigator)
Promote and Support Research
- Enhance recruitment of minorities in oncology research studies.
- Facilitate both secondary or primary research studies aimed at understanding biologic differences in cancer development and response to treatment.
- Promote clinical outcomes research and community-based participatory research.