Skip Navigation

Information for DEAC Patients

Photo: checking heart rate 

Delivering Equal Access to Care: DEAC, the Wake Forest Student-Run Free Clinic

Are you a patient and need assistance, or do you have any questions about becoming a DEAC patient? 

  • Please call the Community Care Center at 336-723-7904.

Questions about the results of your lab tests? 

Patient Eligibility

DEAC is not a walk-in clinic.

To qualify as a patient you must meet the following 3 requirements 

  1. Live in Forsyth, Stokes, or Davie County 
  2. Not be eligible for state or federally sponsored healthcare insurance, including Veterans Administration, Medicaid, or Medicare 
  3. Not be eligible for healthcare insurance through your employer unless your contribution for individual coverage would exceed $150 a month

How to Apply

Becoming a patient first requires a financial screening interview.

Interviews are held every Tuesday and Wednesday from 1:30 - 5 pm: no appointment is needed.

After the interview you will be scheduled for a medical appointment as soon as possible.

Interview Requirements

You will need to bring the following 4 sets of documentation to the interview:

1) Proof of Identity and 2) Proof of Address 

This can include an NC Driver's license, learner's permit, or state issued ID; Current utility bill with name and address; Bank statement with name and address; NC voter registration card; Current Social Services check or letter; Current County/City billing statement; Lease agreement or mortgage statement with the address of the residence, your name and your landlord's name and address; and/or Pay stubs with your name and address. 

If you are homeless, your shelter must give us a letter, on letterhead, stating that you stay there.

3) Proof of Expenses 

Title, car registration or monthly bill for every car in the household 

A lease contract for apartment or house or a mortgage statement or title for house 

Monthly bills, including power, cable, telephone, credit cards, car insurance, and so on

4) Proof of Income 

You are required to bring a copy of your last year's tax returns unless you did not file. 

You may be asked to obtain a letter from the IRS verifying that you did not file taxes the previous year. 

You may be asked to provide a health care insurance verification form from your employer.

Additional Documentation

Each member of your household may be required to provide: 

  • HealthCare Access (formerly Doctors Care) identification card. 
  • A letter from a homeless shelter on letterhead stating your name and dates of residency. 
  • Copy of the last two pay stubs from every person who works in the household (please read important definitions section to know whose pay stubs you are required to bring). 
  • Proof of disability or retirement benefits (letter from SSI). If you have direct deposit for these checks, you must provide a bank statement and verification from SSI. 
  • If you are paid in cash, a Verification of Employment Form, which you can obtain at our reception desk, must be completed, signed and faxed by your employer. We may call your employer to verify your information. 
  • If you are self-employed and do not file tax returns, bring your accounting books or a record of state tax sales revenue for the past year. 
  • If you are being supported by relatives or friends, we require a letter of support from the person who is helping you along with proof of her/his income to verify that they have enough income to support you. 
  • If you are being supported by an organization, we require a letter from the organization helping you on letterhead. 
  • If you are recently unemployed, bring your last two pay stubs and information about any unemployment compensation you will be receiving. 
  • If you are living on savings, you must provide three of your most recent bank statements.



  • Members of an immediate family living in the same residence. This includes parents, son, daughters, grandparents and children for whom the parents have legal custody. 
  • Children living in the same household as their parents, regardless of age, will be considered part of the household. 
  • Children who do not live with their parents may be included on an application if they support the child financially. 
  • Proof of identity must be provided for each member of the household (including children) listed on the application. 
  • Others living in the house or apartment, such as sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles or friends must apply separately.

Individual: A single person who lives alone or resides with others but does not qualify as a member of a household.

Emancipated child: An individual 18 years of age or under who is unmarried and lives on their own without financial support from parents may apply as an individual.

Community Care Center: The CCC is a free medical and dental clinic separate from DEAC and operated mostly by volunteer physicians and staff. The CCC opened in 2000 and has grown to become the largest and most comprehensive free clinic in North Carolina.

Thanks for reading all the way to the end! We hope to see you at the DEAC Clinic soon. 


Quick Reference

MD Program
Student Admissions

Phone 336-716-4264
Fax 336-716-9593

Mon - Fri; 9 am to 4 pm


Bowman Gray Center for Medical Education, 1st Floor, 475 Vine St.

Mailing Address

Office of MD Admissions
Wake Forest School of Medicine
PO Box 573183
Winston Salem, NC 27157

Class Profile

Find A Doctor Ways to Give
Last Updated: 11-03-2016
Wake Forest Baptist Ranked among Nation’s ‘Best Hospitals’  25 Years in a Row by U.S. News & World ReportComprehensive Cancer Centers National Designation is Renewed2017-2018 Best DoctorsNursing Magnet StatusJoint Commission Report

Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.

© Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157. All Rights Reserved.