PATIENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following is a list of UDA’S patient rights and responsibilities. The purpose is to advise patients and employees of University Dental Associates of their duties and obligations to ensure that all patients/employees are treated with courtesy, dignity, and respect, to ensure that UDA provides the highest quality care in a safe and sanitary environment, and to ensure that all patients know that their oral and general health are the most important considerations for the treatment planned and rendered at University Dental Associates.
- Patients have the right to be treated with respect, consideration, and dignity by University Dental Associates. Patients have the responsibility to treat other patients and healthcare providers they encounter at University Dental Associates with the same respect, consideration and dignity.
- Patients have the right to appropriate privacy with regard to their person and care. Patients have the right to view UDA’s Advance Directives Policy.
- Patients have the right to have disclosures and records treated as confidential, and except when required by law or third party obligation, to have the opportunity to approve or refuse the release of clinical information to others.
- Patients have the right to be provided, to the degree known, complete information concerning their diagnosis, treatment plan and prognosis. When inadvisable to give this information to the patient, the information will be made available to an individual designated by the patient or to a legally authorized person.
- Patients have the right to participate in decisions involving their dental health. This includes refusal of treatment, designation of care providers, and selection of appropriate treatment alternatives. They have the obligation to seek answers about their care and the care delivery process, and to advise the appropriate University Dental Associate employee if they have questions that need to be addressed before treatment should be rendered. Patients have the responsibility of providing complete and accurate information to the best of their ability about their health, any medications, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements and any allergies or sensitivities.
- Patients have the right to know what services are available, what fees are due, when fees are due and other payment policies associated with services. The patients are responsible for payment of fees in a timely manner and fulfilling their financial commitments to University Dental Associates.
- Patients have the right to express grievances and to make suggestions. They have the obligation to inform their caregivers if they have questions or concerns about the care they receive, and to follow the clinician’s instructions both before and after treatment. This includes medication as prescribed and keeping follow-up appointments as scheduled. Patients have the right to change providers if other qualified providers are available.
- Patients have the right to be seen in a timely manner, or to be given an explanation for any excessive delay. They have the right to reschedule their appointment in the event of an excessive delay. Patients have the responsibility to keep scheduled appointments or to notify University Dental Associates at least 24 hours in advance if they cannot keep their scheduled appointment so that another patient may be scheduled.