Because diabetes is with you 24/7, knowing what to do to keep it in control is one of the pillars of care. Our certified diabetes educators give you the practical tools and knowledge you need to fit diabetes into your life.
At the Wake Forest Baptist Health Diabetes & Endocrinology
Center, our expertly trained diabetes educators provide patient education in individual sessions or through various classes.
Our Principles of Patient Diabetes Education
- The person with diabetes is the center of her/his healthcare team.
- People with diabetes live multifaceted lives with competing demands that influence their diabetes self-care.
- People living with diabetes make complex self-care decisions everyday.
- Family and other support systems strongly influence diabetes self-care.
- People with diabetes learn ideas and concepts that they perceive as important.
- Learning occurs when the individuals are engaged.
- Learning is a process that requires reinforcement and flexibility.