Because diabetes is with you 24/7, knowing what to do to keep it in control is one of the pillars of care. Our certified diabetes educators give you the practical tools and knowledge you need to fit diabetes into your life.
Patient education is an integral part of JoslinCare, the model of diabetes care at the Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Wake Forest Baptist Health. JoslinCare provides patients with an individualized pathway of care based on their particular needs. It is about empowering patients to self-manage the day-to-day care of your diabetes.
At the Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at Wake Forest Baptist Health, our expertly trained diabetes educators provide patient education in individual sessions or through various classes.
Our Principles of Patient Diabetes Education
- The person with diabetes is the center of her/his healthcare team.
- People with diabetes live multifaceted lives with competing demands that influence their diabetes self-care.
- People living with diabetes make complex self-care decisions everyday.
- Family and other support systems strongly influence diabetes self-care.
- People with diabetes learn ideas and concepts that they perceive as important.
- Learning occurs when the individuals are engaged.
- Learning is a process that requires reinforcement and flexibility.