At our Joslin Diabetes Center, patients can enjoy the convenience of having all their appointments in one location. Our specialists work as a team to provide the best treatment plans. Our patients can be seen by an endocrinologist, an ophthalmologist, a podiatrist and a diabetes educator all in the same day if necessary.
Our pediatric specialists work with patients to provide care to children ages 0 to 18. Services include:
- Insulin pump management
- Patient education about the management of diabetes
Our entire health care team places strong emphasis on four key elements of a successful health care system:
- Available and accessible care in the local community by board-certified endocrinologists
- Excellent quality care
- High patient satisfaction
- Cost affordable care in the most appropriate setting
Our education program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association Education Recognition Program and meets the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education.
How to Enter a Program
A diagnosis of diabetes and a physician referral is required for entering the program. The 1st appointment will be an assessment with a diabetes educator to discover participant needs.
The program accommodates diabetes patients of all ages. Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance carriers pay at least 80% for diabetes education and diabetes supplies.
Self-Management Education at Piedmont Plaza I
- Evening Adult Group Classes - Four separate classes are held on Monday evenings, once a week for 4 weeks.
- SALAD (Successful Adults Learning About Diabetes) Group Classes - Four separate classes are held on Wednesday mornings, once a week for 4 weeks.
- Pediatric Individual Classes - Four separate classes for kids with diabetes and their families are scheduled at intervals to accommodate learning and developmental needs.
- Adult Individual Classes - Classes are scheduled according to individual needs. Medicare requires group classes unless the physician orders an individual classes for a Medicare approved reason.
- Gestational Diabetes Classes - Classes are scheduled individually or as a group, depending on the immediate need. The staff of the DCC understands that these women need to be seen as soon as possible. Appointments are scheduled within 3-4 business days.
- Insulin Pump Program - This program is designed to assess, prepare and train those participants (adult and pediatrics) who qualify for use of an insulin pump to intensively manage their diabetes. Currently there are 5 certified insulin pump trainers at the DCC.
- Follow-Up Appointments - Everyone coming through the comprehensive program at DCC is scheduled for follow-up appointments after the classes. The frequency depends again on individual needs.
- Focus Classes - These are extra classes that focus on a particular topic in more detail. These include "Meal Planning" and "Pathway to Pumping." Other focus classes include an evening meal planning class and meal planning for intensive diabetes management. Meal planning classes include hands-on food preparation and measurements. Support groups meet monthly, and topics include food preparation demonstrations.
In Control: Diabetes Self-Management Education at Downtown Health Plaza
In Control: Diabetes Self-Management Education at Downtown Health Plaza is an outpatient program that is ADA Recognized. It is a satellite of the DCC. This program is designed to better meet the needs of minority, low literacy and Spanish-speaking populations. It offers both individual and group class instruction for the adult population. A physician referral is necessary for enrollment. To enroll, call 336-716-4057.