Facts About Women's History at Wake Forest Baptist
What is now known as the Progressive Care Building was once the Blanche Barrus Nurses' Home named in honor of Blanche Barrus, who worked on obtaining her medical degree in order to become a medical missionary, but died before completing her internship.
Dr. Lucille Hutaff joined the faculty at the Bowman Gray School of Medicine in 1945 as Instructor in Medicine, and was the first woman to hold the rank of full professor at Bowman Gray.
Dr. Jean Bailey Brooks was the only female in the Bowman Gray School of Medicine medical class of 1944, and later became the first female president of Bowman Gray's Medical Alumni Association.
Dr. Katherine Anderson joined Bowman Gray School of Medicine as Associate Professor of Pediatrics in 1968. She later took on the supervision and developmental planning of the new Physician's Assistant Program and remained director of the program from 1969 until her retirement in 1976.
The first laboratory technician at North Carolina Baptist Hospital was Miss Gladys Roberts of Jackson, Mississippi, who later served as Housemother to the Hospital's first class of nursing students in the mid-1920s.
In September 1923, the first nursing students at North Carolina Baptist Hospital, all female, wore uniforms that were "a nice shade of blue with white gored aprons, long sleeves, stiff cuffs buttoned on, and a stiff 'Buster Brown' collar".
In the mid-1920s, short hair on women was becoming popular, but because some North Carolina Baptist Hospital staff objected to nurses having short hair, a ruling against it existed for quite a long time.
Miss Edna L. Heinzerling, RN, was elected the first director of nurses for North Carolina Baptist Hospital at the first North Carolina Baptist Hospital Commission Meeting held at the Robert E. Lee Hotel on April 26, 1922.
Before the first patient was admitted, the first North Carolina Baptist Hospital auxiliary, which was composed of women representing each Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, cut and sewed all operating room and obstetrical linens, bed gowns, ward curtains and net sash curtains for every bedroom in the Hospital.
On Sunday, May 30, 1923, the first patient at North Carolina Baptist Hospital, Mrs. Spease, was admitted to the Hospital by the first accountant in the Admissions Office, Miss Olivia Hall.