Registration and Renewal for the Research Use of Controlled Substances
REQUIREMENT TO NOTIFY
Principal Investigators who intend to become a registered user of a controlled substance or who renew registrations are required to inform WFUHS Environmental Health and Safety. The form is available here: Controlled Substance Notification Form (Initial Registration or Renewal).
REQUIREMENT TO REGISTER
Principal Investigators who intend to use controlled substances in research must register with both the State of North Carolina (DHHS) and the federal government (US DEA).
NORTH CAROLINA REGISTRATION
- Contract NC DHHS Drug Control Unit
Nancy Talbert NC DHHS DCU
Joi Baker NC DHHS DCU
- Determine the schedules of the controlled substances (I-V, VI NC only) to be used in research.
- Determine whether controlled substances are narcotic or non-narcotic (Schedule II and III only).
- Complete DHHS 225 form and submit with registration fee.
- Wait for inspection and background check by NC DHHS.
- Receive approval and registration number.
UNITED STATES DRUG ENFORMCEMENT AGENCY (DEA) REGISTRATION
- Once initial registration with NC DHHS is approved and registration is granted, register with US DEA.
- For research use of controlled substances complete Form 225 and submit with registration fee.
- Receive approval and registration number
RENEWAL OF REGISTRATIONS
Complete and submit the WFUHS Notification Form which will advise Environmental Health and Safety of continuing use.
- NC DHHS requires annual registration renewal
- The federal (US DEA) renewal period is typically 1 year, but may vary based upon Schedules used and activity.
To view a complete summary of Information and Requirements click here.