Department of Defense (USAMRMC) Grants
Summary Information and Requirements
The United States Department of Defense (DOD) and the United States Army Medical Research and Material Command (USAMRMC) specify that facilities receiving DOD funding meet numerous requirements for safe operations and protection of the environment.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) has obtained a five-year DOD institutional approval for the overall Wake Forest University Health Sciences Safety Plan USAMRMC Approved Safety Plan. However, DOD further requires that for each grant submitted, research specific safety programs and policies must be implemented.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
The USAMRMC requires that the Principal Investigator:
- Complete a Principal Investigator Safety Program Assurance form. Print the form, sign and date it.
- Complete a Certificate of Environmental Compliance form.
- Review the WFUHS US Army approved Facility Safety Plan. Please note that the USAMRMC also requires a Proposal Safety Plan that is related to each specific proposal, to be developed and submitted by the Principal Investigator. EH&S will review and retain this document.
- Make a copy of the grant abstract or other document describing the research.
- Once the documents are prepared, contact EH&S.
- Review a copy of the grant proposal (abstract) and above forms for review.
- Review proposed safety plan that addresses all hazards, engineering controls, personal protective equipment, training, waste disposal procedures, etc. (see Proposal Safety Plan Guidelines). EH&S will assist the PI in preparing this plan.
- Inspect your laboratory where the work will take place if a laboratory assessment has not been performed within the current fiscal year.
- Sign off on the Certificate of Environmental Compliance only after your laboratory and protocol is determined to be in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
If the grant is awarded, the PI will be required to notify EH&S if any changes are made to their “Proposal Safety Plan”. Notifications are due by January 20th of each year. This notification will assist EH&S in preparing the annual “Safety Plan Status Report and meet requirements on the “Principal Investigator Assurance” form. Submit annual notifications to: WFUHS, EH&S, Attn: Celeste Caskey, CSP.
*** There is only one DOD office designated as the recipient of Facility Safety Plans and Facility Safety Director Assurances from all institutions seeking funding by the DOD:
Ms. Cavelle Williams
Tel: 301-619-6035; Fax: 301-619-6627
Mail: Commanding General
U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
ATTN: MCMR-ZC-SSE (Ms. Cavelle Williams)
504 Scott Street
Fort Detrick, MD 21702-5012