Otolaryngology and Otolaryngologists: Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT), Head and Neck
Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery is the oldest medical specialty in the United States. Commonly referred to as “ENT/Head and Neck Surgery,” Otolaryngology is a surgical specialty dedicated to an anatomical region and includes the diagnosis and management of disorders affecting the ears, sinuses, nose, mouth, throat, esophagus, voice box, thyroid and parathyroid glands, as well as skin cancers that affect this area.
What is an Otolaryngologist?
Otolaryngologists/Head and Neck surgeons have completed a 5-year surgical residency in this field. The majority of those in the Department of Otolaryngology at Wake Forest Baptist have completed additional training with fellowships in areas of their sub-specialization such as cancer, skull base surgery, ear surgery and disease, voice and swallowing disorders, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and pediatric surgery.
What Areas Do Our Otolaryngologists Specialize In?
- Audiology and Hearing Loss: Advanced diagnostic and treatment services for patients of all ages allows our specialists here at Wake Forest Baptist to customize a hearing solution whether the problem be mild or severe. Our services include balance disorders, hearing tests, hearing aid fitting, cochlear implants, vestibular (balance) testing, and pediatric audiology.
- Otology/Neurotology and Skill Base Surgery: diagnosis and surgical management of diseases of the ear and its related structures including cholesteatoma (skin cyst in the middle ear or base of the skull), congenital ear malformations, vertigo, and complex tumors of the base of the skull including acoustic neuroma.
- Speech Language Pathology
- Laryngology, Voice and Swallowing Disorders
HEAD AND NECK
FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY
- We offer a full and diverse range of surgical and non-surgical facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery services including: facial plastic surgery and skin care, blepharoplasty, BOTOX® injections, facelift, necklift, browlift, cheek rejuvenation, facial resurfacing and chemical peels, injectable fillers and volume augmentation, laser skin treatments, rhinoplasty, scar revisions, skin cancer reconstruction, skin peels, microdermabrasion, and treatment of facial injuries and congenital facial deformities.
- We treat each of our pediatric ENT patients with kindness and compassion – the way we would want our own family to be treated. Working closely with you and your child, our specialists take a family-centered approach to providing an individualized care plan to meet your child’s needs.
Otolaryngology Leaders in Research, Technology, Therapies, and Diagnostics
Our otolaryngologists specialize in using transoral robotic surgery (TORS), a minimally invasive advanced surgical method to treat tumors of the tongue base, larynx and skull base. We are also pioneering new techniques to restore swallowing and salivary gland function. Beyond these specialty techniques, we give our patients access to the latest technology, therapies, and research, including:
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, request an appointment online or call 888-716-WAKE.