Voice & Swallowing Disorders
Lifestyle Recommendations for Reflux Disease
There are several lifestyle modifications that you can make to limit your reflux. These are absolutely no risk – and they are free!
- Quit smoking!
- If you are overweight, weight loss should be a primary goal
- Limit alcohol and caffeine
- Avoid fatty foods
- Eat smaller meals
- Avoid tight abdominal clothing
- Do not lie down within three hours of eating (or within 20 minutes of drinking)
- Avoid foods that seem to make your reflux worse. These may include:
- Citrus fruits
- Fried foods
- Some people find that raising the head of their bed helps their symptoms. You may also find it helpful to avoid lying on your right side.