Your Stay at Wake Forest Baptist Health
As a patient, you are the most important person in the Medical Center. Our employees are dedicated to making your stay as pleasant and helpful as possible. The following information will help you prepare for and know what to expect during your stay at WFBH.
Safety and Security
- Bring with you a list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Medications should not be brought to the hospital. Medications brought from home may be administered only if prescribed by the medical staff. Patients are not permitted to keep medications at the bedside.
- Prescriptions given to you when you leave may be conveniently filled in our Outpatient Pharmacy, open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm.
- We recommend you not bring valuables such as jewelry and cash with you to the hospital. Valuables should be left at home or with a family member. If this is not possible, they may be placed in a safe. Please call the Admitting Office for this service at 336-716-3122. WFBH cannot assume responsibility for items of value unless deposited in the safe.
- Cigarettes and smoking materials are not sold at the Medical Center, and smoking is strictly prohibited throughout the hospital with the exception of designated smoking areas.
- For your protection, the Medical Center often conducts fire drills. If a drill occurs during your stay, remain calm and stay in your room until the staff directs you to do otherwise. The hospital is a fire-resistant building and staff is trained in fire protection. Elevators should not be used if a fire is suspected.
- Room assignment is based upon your medical need and bed availability, and may change based on your health status.
- Private (single bed) and semiprivate (two bed) rooms are available. Insurance usually does not cover the full cost of a private room.
- Color televisions are provided in each room except for intensive care units.
- A nurse call button is located beside the bed. Upon pressing the button, the nursing station is alerted that you need assistance. A staff member will respond as soon as possible.
- Breakfast is served between 6:40 am. and 8:30 am; lunch between 11:15 am and 12:45 pm; and dinner between 4:55 pm. and 6:45 pm. A meal may be delayed if you are scheduled for a special test or treatment.
- The breakfast tray will include a menu from which you can order your meals for the next day. If you are on a special diet prescribed by your physician, you will receive meals tailored to your dietary needs.
- Retail food locations and vending machines are located throughout our facilities. including:
- Ardmore Cafeteria, main floor Ardmore Tower, open 7 days a week, 6:30 am to 10 am; 11 a.m. to 3 pm; and 4:30 pm to 8 pm.
- The hospital provides education about advance directives / directrices por adelantado (living will, health care power of attorney, advance instruction for mental health treatment). Assistance in completing them is available during regular business hours through the Department of Chaplaincy by calling 336-716-4745. After business hours, in urgent situations, call the Nursing Office at 336-716-3418.
Foreign Language / Sign Language Interpreters
- For assistance, inquire at the nursing station or call Patient Relations at 336-713-2273 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm weekdays.
- Patient mail is delivered Monday through Friday. Mail received after your discharge will be forwarded to your billing address.
For Family and Friends
- 10 am to 8 pm daily, except for special care units. Two visitors per patient may visit in the patient’s room. Exceptions to this policy may be indicated due to patient condition or request (i.e. no visitors, immediate family only, etc.). Please refer to the Guide to Guest Services for additional information.
- The Medical Center provides parking for patients and visitors 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Inpatients and family members may purchase a weekly parking pass at a discounted rate from the parking attendant. Please call 336-716-5749 for additional information regarding special parking needs or concerns.
- The Gift Shop is located in the North Tower lobby and provides a variety of gifts, cards, magazines, newspapers, sundries and more.
- For your convenience, a Wachovia Bank branch is located on the Main Level of Reynolds Tower. ATM machines are located outside the Wachovia branch, beside the Gift Shop, and on the Ground Level of Reynolds Tower.
- A Notary Public Service is available through Safety and Security by calling 336-716-3305.
The Hawthorne Inn & Conference Center, owned and operated by Wake Forest Baptist Health, is located at 420 High Street in downtown Winston-Salem, with direct access to Business I-40 (take the Cherry St. exit). For information or to make reservations, please call 336-777-3000, or toll free 877-777-3099.
- Special discounts for WFBH patients, families and guests
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- Customized meals to accommodate specific patients
- Free shuttle service to Wake Forest Baptist Health
- The Bayberry Bistro
- 160 guest rooms
- Full-service Conference Center