If you cannot pay your bill in full, please tell us. It is part of our mission at Wake Forest Baptist to help the communities we serve. We provide health care to those in need, regardless of ability to pay, and we provide financial assistance for those who have limited financial resources and do not qualify for outside assistance.
Outside financial assistance programs include group or individual health insurance plans, COBRA, health coverage tax credits, Medicare, Medicaid and Women-Infant-Children (WIC).
You may check to see if you qualify for any of these programs by visiting Foundation for Health Coverage Education's website at www.CoverageforAll.org, and completing a brief five-question survey.
For those who do not qualify for outside assistance, Wake Forest Baptist provides financial assistance discounts based on household income, assets and family unit size compared to the current Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
For example, if two people live in your household and you earn a combined income of $31,860, you are under the 200% Federal Poverty Level and will receive 100% assistance on eligible services.
To qualify for a discount, you must fully meet the terms of the application process. You may be denied financial assistance if you or your family do not cooperate with this process.
If a partial discount is granted at the 70% or 85% level, the remaining balance must be paid in full or through our interest-free payment plan.
To apply for financial assistance:
- Complete and submit a Financial Assistance application in English or Spanish.
- Include a copy of the latest Federal Income Tax Return and current W-2 forms for all working members of your household.
- If you receive Social Security benefits, submit a copy of your Social Security benefit statement.
- Include supporting documentation for any other income you receive.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered and will be returned for missing documentation.
- Return the completed application with supporting documentation to the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center Cashier's Office; Main Level, Janeway Tower, or mail to Wake Forest Baptist Health; Customer Service Center; 100 Kimel Forest Drive; Winston Salem, NC 27103.
- If you have any questions about the application, please call 336-716-3988 or toll-free 888-663-6980.
Medical Hardship Discount
When a patient’s out-of-pocket medical costs affect the ability to pay for basic living expenses, a medical hardship discount is available. Patients with or without health insurance coverage are eligible if they have balances greater than 20% of their annual household income and household income is over 400% of the Federal Poverty Level.
We recognize that many patients and families may be unprepared to pay for medical expenses. We provide interest-free payment plans to help families manage balances within their budgets. Plans can be set up before, at the time of, or after you receive services. For assistance, please call our Customer Service Center: 336-716-3988 or toll-free 888-663-6980.