First Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
All new volunteers are required to attend an orientation before they can begin volunteering (no RSVP or registration is required). A 4-month commitment is required. Orientation includes general information about the Medical Center and training in the psychology of the sick, transporting patients, safety precautions, Medical Center mission statement, infection control, HIPAA, and corporate compliance.
Download an information pack.
- Health screenings are a requirement after volunteer orientation is completed. All volunteers must report to the Employee Health Clinic for an evaluation at the time they begin their volunteer service.
- Volunteers must have a T.B. test before beginning and then again annually.
- All volunteers are required to wear a photo I.D. badge issued by the Medical Center Identification Office while on duty.
- Flu shots are a requirement annually.
Develop Your Skills
- A 4-month commitment is required.
- Volunteer opportunities at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center are as diverse as your own interests. All new volunteers will be assigned to a volunteer trainer or department staff member to be trained twice or until they feel qualified to accept an assignment on their own.
- Volunteers are expected to volunteer a minimum of 3 ½- 4 hours per week - morning, afternoon, or evening.
- Volunteer assignments will be given according to the Medical Center's need and on a first come basis.
- Set hours are 9 am to 12:30 pm, 12:30 pm to 4 pm, and 4 to 7:30 pm, 7 days per week.
- Shifts are available 24 hours per day in the Emergency Department only.
- Evening shifts are flexible for people who work until 5 pm.
Benefits for Volunteering at the Medical Center
The Medical Center values its volunteers tremendously! As a result, we provide excellent benefits to those who serve. Some of the benefits you will receive as a volunteer:
- Complimentary parking
- Free meal (value $6)
- Free uniform (adult volunteers only)
- Discount of prescriptions at Medical Center's outpatient pharmacy
- Free flu vaccine
- Annual Awards and Recognition
- Job and school references
The Volunteer Office is open Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. We are located on the Main Floor of Ardmore Tower on the main campus of the Medical Center. Our office telephone number is 336-713-3514.