Advantages of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
Neurosurgeons and patients often prefer Gamma Knife radiosurgery because:
- It’s an outpatient procedure that takes less than a day.
- It doesn’t hurt.
- It doesn’t require incisions, so there’s no general anesthesia and no risk of bleeding or infection.
- It exposes patients to less radiation than other types of radiosurgery.
- It’s nearly 90 percent effective at killing or shrinking brain tumors or stopping their growth.
- It can treat even the most challenging, hard-to-reach brain tumors and abnormalities that traditional brain surgery can’t.
- Side effects, such as headaches and nausea, are rare and usually temporary.
- Patients can return to normal activities the next day.
- It's typically half the cost of traditional brain surgery.