The OWLS Clinic
MY TURN- Weight Management Program
- Designed to reinforce healthy behaviors; overcome barriers; offer accountability; set and achieve realistic goals; maintain motivation; review latest researh.
- Group-based educational sessions and self-management coaching with Registered Dietitian & Exercise Physiologist held weekly for 6 months.
- View the MY TURN Weight Management Program video
- For questions about the MY TURN Weight Management Program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optimizing Weight for Life in Seniors
An outpatient evaluation and management clinic for older adults concerned about loss of physical abilities and independence
In 2008, a new outpatient service opened at the Sticht Center on Aging called the Optimizing Weight for Life in Seniors (OWLS) clinic, an outpatient clinic of North Carolina Baptist Hospital. Facilitated by dietitians, exercise physiologists and geriatricians, OWLS is designed to provide safe, evidence-based, and effective evaluation and management for older adults at risk for loss of physical function and mobility due to an excess of body fat relative to muscle. The myriad of programs are individualized to elicit changes in health behaviors related to diet and physical activity to maximize physical function and prevent mobility difficulties.
MY TURN - Weight Management Program
Services offered include:
- Comprehensive Physical and Metabolic Evaluation
Management of Body Weight
- Body Composition: measures exact amounts of body fat, muscle, and bone
- Physical Function: measures muscle strength, walking speed, and balance
- Resting Metabolic Rate: assesses calories used while lying still
- Physical Activity: assesses calories and specific nutrients eaten daily
- Focused Medical Exam with Blood Testing
- Results Review: informed goal setting and individualized dietary and physical activity recommendations
- Base Program:
Designed to elicit changes in health behaviors related to diet and physical activity to maximize physical function and prevent mobility difficulties:
- Individual consultations with Registered Dietitian and Exercise Physiologist held bi-weekly
- Individualized meal and exercise plans provided and updated when needed
- Medical monitoring of conditions (e.g., diabetes) that are sensitive to changes in body weight and/or exercise habits
- Add-ons to Base Program:
- Option 1: Daily meal replacements (shakes and/or bars)
- Option 2: Two low-calorie meals (chosen from 20-item lunch and dinner menus) and 2 snacks/day
- Option 3: Three days/week of supervised exercise in our exercise facility with individualized exercise prescription and monitoring (Must undergo an exercise stress test conducted in WFBMC Heart Center)
Our comprehensive, supervised programs are usually outside the scope of what most health insurance providers (including Medicare) will cover. Participants who wish to file for reimbursement from their insurance carriers are responsible for doing so themselves. The cost of these programs may be tax deductible as a medical expense. In some cases medical savings accounts or flexible spending accounts may be used for reimbursement. Please note that all payments are due prior to evaluation and/or treatment.
The OWLS Clinic is located in the Geriatric Research Clinic in the Sticht Center on Aging, first floor. Contact Michelle Gordon, MS at 336-713-8546 for inquiries and scheduling.