Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Clinical Studies RN - Comprehensive Cancer Center
Job ID: 7528
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-ClinicalWinston-Salem, NCNursing-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare8/1/2014Job Summary: Under general supervision, provide specialized nursing care/treatment to a specific group of patients in the Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University (CCCWFU); participate in management and coordination of clinical research studies; and provide supervision to...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Clinical-Studies-RN---Comprehensive-Cancer-Center-7528.htm
Under general supervision, provide specialized nursing care/treatment to a specific group of patients in the Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University (CCCWFU); participate in management and coordination of clinical research studies; and provide supervision to nursing / nursing support personnel. Provide cross coverage as needed in the Protocol Office. Cross train in order to support the other nurses when needed. Coordinate efforts related to clinical oncology studies, primarily investigator-initiated or investigator-initiated industry-sponsored clinical trials. Primary areas of focus are cross departmental trials in several areas (treatment trials, supportive care, cancer prevention and control).
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Graduation from accredited school of nursing
- Two years of nursing experience, preferably in a related field, research, acute care, or a specialty area
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Nursing
- Three or more years of nursing experience
- Documented education and/or training in the oncology field
Reports To: Director of Clinical Research Management, CCCWFU
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
- North Carolina RN license
- Must complete the CITI certification for Human Subject Research if not already completed
- All additional required WakeOne training for research coordinators
Actively screen patients for protocol enrollment, utilizing knowledge of oncology nursing to review pathology, laboratory results, scans and physician notes to verify patient eligibility.
- Serve as a nursing expert of specialized patient care, including direct patient care, assessment, documentation, treatment intervention and patient/family education and support in accordance with education/experience, established policies and procedures, and state licensure requirements.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health care providers to plan, develop, budget, implement, coordinate, manage, monitor and evaluate patient care guidelines/protocols for clinical programs and/or clinical research studies; assist with developing and implementing nursing care policies/procedures for the unit/area.
- Work with CCCWFU investigators and staff to maximize identification of eligible study patients for recruitment to research protocols either by referrals or from the current pool of clinical patients. Recruit, consent and enroll patients onto trials once eligible patients are identified.
- Track new and follow-up patients for eligibility and recruitment:
- Enter patient status information into the cancer center database (ORIS)
- Record eligibility assessment and outcome
- Educate other clinic staff and physicians regarding protocol specific requirements
- Follow care of protocol patients while on protocol treatment to include the following:
- Coordinate with the physician and clinic staff to assure that all protocol requirements are scheduled and ordered
- Review EPIC/WakeOne to ensure protocol compliance and appropriate data collection; verify that all appropriate labs and measurements are performed and ordered correctly
- Ensure that charts are clearly labeled for the appropriate drug
- Record and transmit protocol treatments funded by outside agencies; provide information to clinic billing office (this includes insurance contacts)
- Assess and enter the initial adverse event report and serious adverse events into the eIRB system
- Follow-up with the assigned regulatory contact to resolve any outstanding reporting requirements in a prompt and appropriate manner
- Provide constant communication with the assigned protocol specialist/data manager for any and all event reporting and for all needed data points
- Link encounters appropriately according to the provided nursing grid in order to review and validate that patient's bills are correct.
- Perform the following ancillary duties:
- Collect blood samples (e.g. pharmacokinetic samples) and draw blood as necessary, running to special hematology, as necessary
- Collect data and blood work for protocols to maintain protocol requirements
- Work with home health, primary care physicians, research nurses and affiliates to arrange follow-up and treatment
- Promote communication and collaborative activities between Radiation, Gynecological, Surgical and Medical Oncology staff, special laboratory staff, research personnel and investigators for multi-disciplinary (multimodality) research studies to ensure quality patient care, efficient and effective operation of protocol processes, and achievement of study-related objectives, especially accrual enhancement for CCCWFU studies.
- Attend relevant investigational and professional meetings to keep abreast of current developments in the field.
- Be a productive team member of Clinical Research Management
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Skills and Qualifications:
- EPIC/WakeOne proficiency to include appropriate documentation of research notes
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills)
- Ability to provide indirect patient care
- Basic computer skills required
Job Summary: Specially trained and uniquely qualified to assist in the implementation of research protocols. Responsible for the safe delivery of nursing care for adult and/or pediatric patients. Provides direct and indirect patient care using the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation). Responsible for data collection and/or collection of specimens as required for the implementation of approved protocols. May direct and supervise other assigned team members and collaborate with multidisciplinary team members to provide age/developmentally appropriate care in accordance with standards of care.
Education / Experience: Graduation from accredited school of nursing. Minimum of one year nursing experience. Prefer BSN.
Reports To: As noted in Position Description.
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: NC RN licensure required.
1. Plan and provide professional nursing care in accordance with education/experience, established policies and procedures and state licensure requirements.
2. Collaborate with physicians and other healthcare providers as required. May include planning development, budgeting, implementation, coordination, management and evaluation of patient care guidelines/protocols for clinical program and/or clinical research studies. May be required to assist with developing and implementing nursing care and policies /procedures for unit/area.
3. Participation in research studies, including patient recruitment, eligibility assessment, protocol implementation (medical/pharmaceutical), patient/family education, counseling interviews, performance of laboratory studies, collection of laboratory samples, and data collection and coding.
4. Participation in pharmaceutical regimens or implementation of treatment as prescribed by physician in accordance with clinical study. Providing education and support to patient/family as appropriate.
5. Participation in data collection, preparation in progress reports and quality control monitoring, analysis of data and writing of scientific papers. May assist in writing of scientific papers, and publication of articles, book chapters, etc.
6. Obtains authorization for insurance, reviews encounter forms, assists with medical coding provides general information and answers inquiries regarding the preauthorization process.
7. May help develop educational materials for patients, hospital staff and outside physicians? offices; organize transport of study materials as needed. Participate in educational events.
8. May provide supervision of nursing and/or nursing support staff.
9. Act as a liaison between health care providers, students, pharmaceutical companies, patients and/or community resources as needed.
10. Assist the Principal Investigator (PI) and/or other members of the research team to conduct, coordinate and evaluate the study. Maintaining Quality Assurance (QA) data on activities, including complications and outcomes of procedures/protocols. Provide data as required.
11. Maintain clinical and/or equipment inventory; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
Skills and Qualifications:
Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills)
Ability to provide direct and indirect patient care
Basic computer skills preferred
Flexibility with work schedule
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
May be exposed to infectious and contagious disease.
May be exposed to body fluids.
May be exposed to radiation hazards.
Exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals.
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances.
Subject to many interruptions.
Subject to irregular hours.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center strives to provide best-in-class nursing care to our patients. To continue to provide such high quality services, meet internal targets and comply with ACCN Magnet requirements for a plan to increase BSN staff to 80% by 2020, WFBMC desires to employ nurses who have achieved, or will achieve, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. WFBMC will provide nurses who have earned an Associate Degree in Nursing a period of five (5) years from the date of hire to meet that educational requirement.