Device Nurse Clinical Studies RN part-time - Davie County Hospital | Davie County Hospital
Job Title: Device Nurse Clinical Studies RN part-time - Davie County Hospital
Job ID: 2302
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-Clinical
Selected candidates will be employed by Davie County Emergency Health Corporation at the West Campus.
Staff and manage Device Interrogation Clinics, a speciality clinic within Cardiology to follow patients who have had a device implanted to correct heart rhythm irregularities that can lead to sudden cardiac death, stroke, syncope, and to increase heart muscle contractions for patients with heart failure.
Implanted Devices are pacemakers, defibrillators, and loop recorders. The patient must be seen within 10 days of procedure to have wound checked. After initial settings are interrogated and appropriate for patient and condition, the devices must be interrogated once every three months. The patient must be seen face to face once a year for device interrogation and can be interrogated remotely once a quarter. The devices must be monitored for battery settings, thresholds, sensitivity and voltage.
Trained in various manufacturers interrogation programs and equipment.
Record, analyze, and reprogram devices as appropriate.
Review previous settings of device.
Review rate response of patient and symptoms through hall walks to determine if settings improve.
Schedule more frequent followup if necessary.
Evaluate life of device battery for end of life replacement.
Discuss complicated cases with device company representatives.
Determine if patient needs to be scheduled for evaluation and management visit with Cardiac Electrophysiology physician.
Note re remote interrogations: Patients have equipment provided by manufacturer that will record device settings, etc., and send a report to a website. Support staff download/print this report for the nurses to review as though they interrogated the device face to face. The patient may be contacted for more frequent remote interrogations or a face to face clinic visits if appropriate.
Job Code / Title: 8673 Clinical Studies RN
Original Date: May 2012
Job Summary: Specially trained and uniquely qualified to assist in the implementation of research protocols. Responsible for the safe delivery of nursing care for adult and/or pediatric patients. Provides direct and indirect patient care using the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation). Responsible for data collection and/or collection of specimens as required for the implementation of approved protocols. May direct and supervise other assigned team members and collaborate with multidisciplinary team members to provide age/developmentally appropriate care in accordance with standards of care.
Education / Experience: Graduation from accredited school of nursing. Minimum of one year nursing experience. Prefer BSN.
Reports To: As noted in Position Description.
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: NC RN licensure required.
1. Plan and provide professional nursing care in accordance with education/experience, established policies and procedures and state licensure requirements.
2. Collaborate with physicians and other healthcare providers as required. May include planning development, budgeting, implementation, coordination, management and evaluation of patient care guidelines/protocols for clinical program and/or clinical research studies. May be required to assist with developing and implementing nursing care and policies /procedures for unit/area.
3. Participation in research studies, including patient recruitment, eligibility assessment, protocol implementation (medical/pharmaceutical), patient/family education, counseling interviews, performance of laboratory studies, collection of laboratory samples, and data collection and coding.
4. Participation in pharmaceutical regimens or implementation of treatment as prescribed by physician in accordance with clinical study. Providing education and support to patient/family as appropriate.
5. Participation in data collection, preparation in progress reports and quality control monitoring, analysis of data and writing of scientific papers. May assist in writing of scientific papers, and publication of articles, book chapters, etc.
6. Obtains authorization for insurance, reviews encounter forms, assists with medical coding provides general information and answers inquiries regarding the preauthorization process.
7. May help develop educational materials for patients, hospital staff and outside physicians? offices; organize transport of study materials as needed. Participate in educational events.
8. May provide supervision of nursing and/or nursing support staff.
9. Act as a liaison between health care providers, students, pharmaceutical companies, patients and/or community resources as needed.
10. Assist the Principal Investigator (PI) and/or other members of the research team to conduct, coordinate and evaluate the study. Maintaining Quality Assurance (QA) data on activities, including complications and outcomes of procedures/protocols. Provide data as required.
11. Maintain clinical and/or equipment inventory; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
Skills and Qualifications:
Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, and listening skills)
Ability to provide direct and indirect patient care
Basic computer skills preferred
Flexibility with work schedule
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
May be exposed to infectious and contagious disease.
May be exposed to body fluids.
May be exposed to radiation hazards.
Exposed to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals.
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances.
Subject to many interruptions.
Subject to irregular hours.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.