Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Director Ambulatory Systems
Job ID: 7541
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Professional / ManagementWinston-Salem, NCProfessional / Management, Medical, Healthcare7/31/2014JOB SUMMARY: Each employee at the Medical Center has a critical role in delivering the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, everytime, and understands how he or she contributes to the healthsystem''''s vision of achieving that commitment to patients and families. The...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Director-Ambulatory-Systems-7541.htm
JOB SUMMARY: Each employee at the Medical Center has a critical role in delivering the most remarkable patient experience, in every dimension, everytime, and understands how he or she contributes to the healthsystem's vision of achieving that commitment to patients and families. The Director exemplifies the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (WFBMC) Values and Code of Conduct, while striving to identify and mitigate compliance risk through department led risk assessments, system monitoring, and periodic audits, and reporting any identified violation to Legal Services and Corporate Compliance Departments. Ensures immediate action is taken on any issues identified through a self-assessment or by Legal Services or Corporate Compliance; that policies are developed or revised as necessary; and that efforts are made to ensure a positive and compliant work environment for all employees.
The Director of Ambulatory Information Systems is the visionary and leader responsible forproviding secure, compliant, robust, reliable, scalable, and efficient software solutions to the ambulatory, ancillary (lab, radiology, etc.) oncology and community customers of the WFBMC enterprise. The Director of Ambulatory Information Systems demonstrates innovation by creating new approaches to opportunities, by being an effective decision maker, and by uniting and utilizing the best talent. This role requires the ability to act with integrity and authenticity, to empower and develop employees, to create a positive workplace that will attract and retain talented and knowledgeable employees, to practice consultative and inclusive leadership, and to reinforce and inspire innovation. The Director is responsible for planning, delivering and maintaining a system that delivers state of the art software support to the mission of the Medical Center'sacademic, clinical and research functions. The Director will work closely with peers in the ITS Hospital and Clinical Applications Group and partner with other areas of ITS to ensure that solutions that require multiple technology levels are aligned for a cohesive, reliable, compliant, integrative and complete architecture. Full alignment with the vision, mission and values of the WFBMC organization are expected in every aspect of this job.
- BS degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, Hospital Administration, or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience required, Master's degree preferred
- Solid understanding of all hospital business and clinical operations.
- Five or more year's related experience in healthcare applications related fields.
- Three or more years' experience in information system project management.
- Progressive experience with a variety of application vendor environments including, EPIC, Lawson, GE and McKesson. Epic experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in best practices and leading advanced application solutions.
- Prior experience in management of large complex applications environments.
- Advanced PC knowledge including proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, and MS Project
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Expertise in quality improvement processes such as ISO or Six Sigma preferred
- PMP or comparable certification helpful
REPORTS TO: Chief Clinical Information Officer
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: N/A
- Adheres to the established ITS enterprise methodologies, practices and procedures for documentation, project management, programming, configuration, change management, testing, deployment and system monitoring to promote accountability within ITS that cultivates a collaborative work environment with our customers and ensures delivery of agreed upon functionality.
- Improving ITS effectiveness and reliability through:
- Only programming, configuring or processing ITS approved work and referring new work or scope changes to the appropriate manager, project manager or project management team for review and analysis.
- Actively assessing risks and assisting in risk mitigation
- Completing assigned tasks/projects on time, on budget and in scope.
- Enforcing a culture of return on investment to reduce expenses and increase revenues
- Performing with accountability and responsibility for not performing or requesting any out of scope tasks.
- Performing with accountability and responsibility for keeping informed about changes in ITS policies, practices and procedures
- Ensure recommendations and decisions are based on data analytics that provide credibility to data, ITS standards, evidence of options evaluated, evidence of actions completed and sound financial basis.
- Monitoring and reporting on return on investment or increased revenues on implemented and ongoing ITS projects.
- Continue to acquire and update ITS technical expertise to meet or lead proficiency for continuous changes in technology
- Vendor Management:
- Ensure vendors aligned to the vision, mission, values, and business strategy of WFUBNC.
- Ensure vendors meet or exceed service level agreements
- Ensure vendors have financial risk for service level failures
- Ensure alternative vendors are considered during contract renewal time or RFP's.
- Ensure vendor contracts have adequate risk mitigation and redundancy to ensure 100% uptime for clinical or clinical supporting systems
- Partners with operational and clinical leadership in areas of accountability to develop strategies and collaboratively seeks out opportunities to improve customer service, increase functionality in applications in areas of accountability.
- Provides proactive information and guidance to operational and clinical leadership on new applications and/or enhancements to improve productivity and patient care.
- Contributes to safe business practices by supporting the system-wide programs and policies addressing a safe environment for all parties and the reporting of compliance concerns to the appropriate individuals.
- Manages the activities of the Managers and applications support staff, prioritizes activities and schedules staff to achieve high quality of service. Develops performance standards to meet organizations and department's goals and objectives.
- Manages the development and implementation of assigned clinical applications of the EHR to ensure productive and efficient information systems that are utilized and maintained.
- Manages the integration of all assigned applications to ensure data integrity and consistency across the enterprise. This includes methodologies for data normalization and integration to standardize the meaning of the data, proof of validity and improve the consistent access to data for decision-making.
- Manages the planning, designing, implementing and documenting of all new assigned applications, upgrades to existing applications or application issues. Oversees development and implementation of roll-out plans to include coordination of all impacted departments/areas and training of super users.
- Manages and continually improves project methodology and standards to ensure proper deployment and maintenance of all systems.
- Assists with preparation of the annual IS operating and capital budgets and monitors the budgetary targets on applications projects and tasks.
- Manages the activities of outside consultants contracted for implementation support, report writing or application development.
- Ensures implementations of new applications, upgrades to existing applications and problem solutions in applications are completed in a timely manner within budget and with accuracy and customer satisfaction.
- Integrates department's services with the hospital's primary functions by supporting organizational mission, priorities and goals, and by delivering optimal quality health care services.
- Recommends and ensures that a sufficient number of qualified and competent persons are available to provide applications build and support that is efficient and service oriented.
- Maintains appropriate quality improvement and control programs in response to leadership, staff and patient feedback, internal standards of care and external requirements.
- Works with the IS Architect Group to defines high level Applications strategies, guidelines and standards that balance short term and long term objectives in a practical manner, and provide architectural review services for potential solutions.
- Meets with all levels of IS management and business partners to review existing systems performance, capabilities, and quality to establish service levels and performance metrics, and ensure that an agreed-upon service level is provided to customers.
- Champions the establishment and ongoing operation of industry best practice processes including Change, Asset, Problem, Incident, Service, and Request Management.
- Partners with other senior IS leaders to forge collaborative win-win relationships and facilitate smooth workflow across the ITS organization which drive increased efficiency, effectiveness, and employee satisfaction.
- In coordination with the Disaster Recovery Planner and Security Manager plans and executes disaster recovery for assigned IS systems in support of enterprise business continuity requirements.
- Ensures all system releases are reviewed internally and communicated externally to appropriate customers.
- Coaches and mentors Managers in areas of accountability to achieve optimal outcomes and oversees their development in alignment with alignment with succession planning.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Open to change
- Focus on quality and consider upstream/downstream impacts
- Provide excellent customer service
- Deliver to commitments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language. Ability to communicate on a professional level with all Medical Center personnel and patients.
- Ability to communicate professionally with all levels of leadership in a concise, clear and timely manner.
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Creates and emotionally engaged team through servant leadership practices creating a rewarding, challenging, and exciting environment. Celebrates successes and failures while leading teams through lessons learned of projects and major events.
- Mustbeabletobuild anenvironment thatisconducivetomotivatestaff within all areas to highlevelsofperformance and acceptance to change.
- Must be able to relentlessly deliver product and solution oriented results while maintaining an optimistic and rewarding work environment.
- Ability to strategically plan solution oriented applications and functionality roadmaps.
- Business skills in terms of demand/capacity and financial management.
- Ability to strategically partner with business and clinical operational leaders to optimize outcomes.
- Project and portfolio management capabilities.
- Department management via analytics and metrics.
- Approaches problems and issues as opportunities with a positive attitude.
- High ethical integrity and ego drive.
- Treats others with dignity and respect.
- Role models team work and cross functional team work.
- Ability to recruit, build and retain emotionally engaged teams.
- Fast paced, long hours, ability to deliver results at times with little lead time, professionalism and leadership are a must at all times.
- Full alignment with the vision, mission and values of the WFBMC organization are expected in every aspect of this job.
- May be exposed to/occasionally exposed to patient elements.
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations.
- Handles emergency or crisis situations.
- Subject to many interruptions.
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours.
- Frequently pressured due to multiple priorities.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.