H1B Required Materials Inside the US
Please provide the following materials (PDF scans or paper copies) to the Office of International Services:
- Your C.V.
- Your highest degree certificate, translated if the degree is not in English.
- The front and back of the I-94 cards.
- Passport personal data and expiration page.
- If you are in F-1 student status (or on F-1 optional practical training); copies of all of your I-20 (both sides) and EAD card.
- If you are in J-1 status; copies of all of your DS-2019 forms and a copy of the waiver of the two-year home-residency requirement (if this applies).
- If you were ever in H-1B status; copies of all previously issued forms I-797 Notice of Action forms issued by the USCIS.
- If you are applying for H-1B status to include clinical responsibilities and patient care, you must also provide:
- Copies of your medical degree certificate
- Copies of your unrestricted State license, registration or certificate if required by your specialty
- Copies of your ECFMG certification
- Copies of USMLE 1, 2, 3 results
- Provide International Services with the location of the American Embassy/Consulate location (city and country) you plan to will apply for the H-1B visa.
- Verification that you are currently employed — per conditions of your valid H-1B status; please provide photocopies of current pay stubs (at least 3-4 months) Please note: This verification is only required if you have H-1B status, are employed elsewhere, and you are moving to the Winston-Salem area.
- Personal check or money order for $325 (if your department will not cover the fee), payable to Department of Homeland Security.
- If you would like the H-1B process expedited, speak to your department about the additional Premium Processing fee of $1,225. For details go to the Fees page.
Accompanying Dependents Only
(Applies only to Inside the US)
If you have a dependent spouse or children, they must submit:
- An original signed (blue ink) Form I-539. This is completed and signed by the dependent family member.
- One check payable to Department of Homeland Security for $290.
- The front and back of I-94 cards for each H-4 family member.
- Passport personal data and expiration page for each H-4 family member.
- If you were ever in H (H-1B or H-4) status before: Copies of all previously issued forms I-797 Notice of Action forms issued by the USCIS.
- Copies of the marriage and birth certificates.
Return to H-1B Application Process page