Once the H-1B Petition is Filed
Immigration processing will take a minimum of 3 months. This timeframe can change, and the Office of International Services can provide guidance on the current processing period. Alternately, Premium Processing may be used for an additional fee narrowing processing time down to a 15-calendar day period.
Step 1: Once the H-1B petition is complete, including Labor step, International Services will send the petition to Immigration. In approximately 10-14 days after the petition is received by Immigration, International Services should receive an official receipt notice providing a case number.
Step 2: In approximately 10-14 days after the petition is received by Immigration, International Services should receive an official receipt notice providing a case number. At that time workers may contact International Services to request their case number so they may monitor their case, online at www.uscis.gov.
Step 3: The Office of International Services will send an email notice to the worker as soon the Immigration approval notice (Form I-797) arrives
Step 4: If you are monitoring your case status online, please note it can take as long as 7-10 days forthe Office of International Services to receive the official approval notice once the immigration system shows an approval.
Please note that your H-1B gives you employment permission only for the specific job named in the application. For further instructions, please select your H-1B category below.
- If the Form I-539 was filed for dependents (in the U.S.), this receipt (and later the dependent/s approval notice) will be sent to the address noted on the form.
- Please check the receipt immediately for any errors in the spelling of the name/s and call the customer service number on the form to report if an error has been made.
Change of Status to H-1B
- Scholars should not plan travel during the pending petition process (more information).
- Scholars must receive approval of the change of status to H-1B by the expiration date of your current work authorization/status to continue employment.
- Cases may be expedited by using Premium Processing.
- This may be done either at the time of the initial filing or once the receipt notice has arrived narrowing the processing time down to a 15-calendar day period.
- If you elect to use this, it will take approximately 20 days to complete the full process, including mailing.
Change of H-1B Employer to Medical Center (AC 21 Petitions)
- Workers should not plan travel during the pending petition process.
- Workers may begin Medical Center employment as soon as the Office of International Services confirms receipt of the official Immigration receipt notice with case number.
- Workers may work according to the "240-day rule" while awaiting final approval of the petition.
- The "240-day rule" authorizes the worker to work up to a period of 240 days from the date Immigration receives the petition (or up to the new expiration date, whichever is earlier), while pending.
- Per 8 Code of Federal Regulations #274a.12.
H-1B Cable Notification Petitions (for workers currently outside the U.S.)
- Once Immigration approves the petition, the Office of International Services will contact you regarding the approval
- These materials will be used to apply for the H-1B visa for U.S. entry at the American Embassy designated by the scholar.