Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Nurse Manager - Burn Center
Job ID: 7615
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-Clinical
Location: Winston SAlem, NC North CarolinaNursing-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare8/5/2014Nurse Manager, The Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical CenterThe ABA-Verified Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is one of two American Burn Association-Verified Burn Centers in North Carolina. The Burn Center consists of 8 Critical Care Beds in the Burn ICU 16 Step...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Nurse-Manager---Burn-Center-7615.htm
Nurse Manager, The Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
The ABA-Verified Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is one of two American Burn Association-Verified Burn Centers in North Carolina.
The Burn Center consists of
- 8 Critical Care Beds in the Burn ICU
- 16 Step Down in the acute care unit
- 3 Bay Hydrotherapy Room
- 24/7 Wound Care Team
- Pediatric and Adult Patients
- Approximately 300 Adult Burn admissions per year
- Approximately 100 Pediatric Burn admissions per year
- ABA-Verified Burn Center since 2009
The Burn Center is managed medically by two primary burn attending physicians, as well as additional Trauma Service attendings, residents and advanced practice providers, who, with therapists (occupational, physical, recreational, and respiratory), nutritionists, chaplains, pharmacists, child life specialists, social workers, case managers, drug and alcohol abuse counselors, and nursing provide the highest level of burn care available. Our nurses are supported by a 24/7 wound care team that assists with lengthy, complex dressings.
The nursing staff is a team of dedicated professionals who are specially trained to meet the needs of the critically burned patient from admission through the rehabilitation period. The nurses are trained and rotate to all levels of care as patient care needs change. Many of the nurses are certified in Advanced Burn Life Support (ABLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
The 3 Bay Hydrotherapy room provides patients with anesthesia assistance or with moderate sedation when needed during admission and complex dressing changes.
The Burn Center operates within the Wake Forest Baptist Health nursing department, employing a Congressional model of Shared Governance. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center was the first hospital in North Carolina to achieve Magnet status and will soon be hosting our survey for our 4th re-designation. Our nursing team is committed to learning and recognized through a Clinical Ladder that promotes differentiation and elevation of nursing practice.
Nurse Manager Qualifications
The Nurse Manager provides clinical and administrative leadership for Burns and Plastics. Responsibilities include 24-hour accountability for the quality, service excellence, workplace experience and financial outcomes. This includes fostering a patient centered professional work environment through the implementation of the Theory of Human Caring, the nursing process, staff development and collaborative team interactions for the enhancement of the quality of patient care. The Nurse Manager partners with the Medical Director to achieve goals to improve quality of care.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of 4 years previous nursing experience
- Minimum of 2 years critical care experience, prefer burn experience in an ABA-verified burn center.
- Prefer nursing experience in an academic medical environment.
- He/she will be energetic, team oriented with high standards, dedicated to patients and passionate about providing optimum patient and family centered care.
- Will possess effective communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to team build, mentor, coach and problem solve.
- Requires minimum of MSN
- ABLS, ACLS, PALS Certifications
The Nurse Manager provides clinical and administrative leadership for a defined patient care area(s). Responsibilities include 24-hour accountability for the quality, service excellence, workplace experience and financial outcomes. This includes fostering a patient centered professional work environment through the implementation of the Theory of Human Caring, the nursing process, staff development and collaborative team interactions for the enhancement of the quality of patient care. The Nurse Manager partners with the Medical Director to achieve goals to improve quality of care.
Education / Experience: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing, BSN, MSN or Masters in related field required, BCLS required. Minimum of 4 years experience in nursing.
Reports To: Director of Nursing
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: Active NC RN Licensure. Certification in specialty required within 1 yr of hire.
- Provides leadership to staff to ensure short and long term goals are met by developing standards of performance and capitalizing on employee strengths, supporting the Mission, Vision, Core Values and Evidence-based practice. Assures appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continuing professional development for personnel.
- Collaborates effectively throughout the organization by developing collegial relationships and communicating information effectively, encouraging communication and serving as a resource to staff and other departments.
- Coordinates nursing care with other healthcare disciplines and assists in integrating services across the continuum of care. Accountable for the quality and appropriateness of health care delivery and for the environment in which clinical nursing is practiced.
- Quality: Promotes a culture of safety for patients, self, co-workers, and facility in conjunction with the Director of Nursing and Medical Director. Assumes responsibility for the Care Delivery Model by developing systems to monitor and measure the quality, safety and outcomes, and implementing performance improvement measures for identified metrics.
- Customer Service: Ensures care is delivered with respect for patient?s rights and preferences. Maintains privacy, confidentiality, and security for patients and staff. Facilitates resolution of conflicts, collaborates with Service Excellence to promote service recovery, and empowers staff in decision-making through shared governance.
- Finance: Assumes responsibility with the Director of Nursing for the planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of the budgetary process for designated area(s). Assures nursing workload is measured and resources are allocated based on industry benchmarks and patient needs to optimize the provision of quality, cost effective care. Facilitates and monitors the appropriate utilization of staff based on credentialing, education and experience.
- Work Place Environment: Ensures a biogenic environment which stimulates the ongoing professional development of staff in accordance with the principles of Shared Governance, Theory of Human Caring, and professional practice. Develops and fosters relationships that support the continuous enhancement of care delivery, and patient and staff satisfaction through a professional practice environment of mutual respect.
- Demonstrates value for professional nursing practice including the utilization of current standards, the nursing process and patient advocacy. Taking responsibility for continuing education to develop best practices and maintain the highest level of patient care and staff development.
- Patient Population Competencies: Ensures/provides appropriate patient care in accordance with specific patient population. Demonstrates and utilizes knowledge of the needs of the patient population specific to the defined clinical area. Maintains competency related to patient population and identifies strategies to meet related needs.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Negotiation and conflict resolution
- Nursing research and Evidence-based practice
- Performance Improvement
- Practice Innovation
- Professional Nursing Practice and Management Theory
- Resilient and flexible in a changing environment
- Standards of clinical nursing practice
- Strategic visioning and planning
- Systems for patient safety
- Technology/informatics skills
- Functions effectively under stressful conditions and difficult situations
- Excellent and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with the team
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
Reaching with arms
Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
20 lbs. maximum
50 lbs. maximum
100 lbs. maximum
- Clean, well lit and comfortable climate
- Potential exposure to contamination with bloody or bodily fluids, requiring protective equipment
- Highly stressful, dynamic conditions
Required Protective Equipment:
- Eye/face protection
American Nurses Association (2004). Scope and Standards for Nurse Administrators, 2nd Ed.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.