Patrols hospital buildings and grounds in all types of weather to ensure the safety and security of patients, visitors, physicians and staff. Assists transport of patients when possible.
- High school degree or equivalent
- No criminal record
- Valid North Carolina driver's license and minimal moving violations
- Excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Prolonged standing and walking; constant mobility
- Contact with patients, physicians, and staff in sometimes stressful situations
- Exposed to danger of assaults
- Pushing, pulling and lifting patients
- Potential exposure to bloodborne diseases, infectious and communicable diseases.
Exceeds Standards (ES); Meets Standards (MS); Needs Improvement (NI); Does Not Meet Standards (DN). (Anything other than Meets Standards should be accompanied by a comment or explanation.)
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manage function of CCTV/ Card Access Security System.
- Replace videotapes and place in proper storage.
- Investigate activity recorded on video.
- Reset the programmed patterns for cameras.
- Select cameras on spot monitors.
- Record activity on videotape.
- Observe suspicious activity on camera.
- Observe activity on card access system.
2. Administer assistance to patient and family.
- Assist patients with wheelchair at Emergency Department.
- Participate in patient transport as needed, for example, if pediatric patient, be sure parent or guardian is present and knowledgeable of reasons for transport. If young adult or elderly adult, speak respectfully.
- Direct visitors to correct locations.
- Consult with Law Enforcement with Patient under Legal Restriction.
- Move body in and out of morgue.
- Resource to family to ease long waits.
3. Provide safe and secure environment.
- Escort visitors and staff.
- Ensure doors are locked and unlocked when needed.
- Conduct hourly rounds inside and outside.
- Oversee the locking and unlocking of safes.
- Participate in high-risk terminations.
- Apply salt or sand on icy sidewalks.
- Coordinate the lock up & release of weapons.
- Schedule security staff work hours.
4. Prepare documentation on security activities.
- Prepare safety incident report on incidents.
- Enter information on Security Activity report.
- Summarize monthly activities on trending form.
5. Conduct investigations of security incidents.
- Secure the area.
- Conduct search of area.
- Obtain pictures of scene.
- Notify department manager and/or law enforcement.
- Interview staff and visitors.
6. Respond to codes and alarms.
- Respond to alarms at offsite buildings.
- Reset alarms systems.
- Respond to all codes in hospital.
7. Enforcement of Hospital Parking Policy & Smoking Policy.
- Provide replacement employee parking tags.
- Issue parking tickets.
- Operate the parking data base on computer.
- Maintain vehicular access to and from the emergency room.
- Documents staff smoking in unauthorized areas.
- Directs visitors to smoke in approved areas.
8. Maintain safe landing zone for Air Care.
- Coordinate the closing of gates to stop traffic flow.
- Ensures the landing zone lights are on.
- Move fire extinguisher for fire department.
- Directs bystanders to a safe location.
- Examine the landing zone for debris.
- Maintain security of landing zone.
9. Assist with combative patients.
- Participate in applying restraints, for example, if pediatric patient, be proficient in using “papoose” restraint. If young adult to elderly adult, be proficient in using padded restraints.
- Administer control of combative patients during some procedures.
- Establish rapport with acting out person.
10. Advise proper authorities of unsafe conditions.
- Notify plant operations and any other appropriate personnel of unsafe conditions at hospital.
- Informs appropriate personnel of safety concerns at offsite buildings.
- Inform alarm company of any alarm problems at offsite buildings.
- Refers safety concerns to Risk Management and Safety.
11. Attend all department-required training.
- Complete all computer-based training in timely manner.
- Participates in pepper spray training.
- Obtains certification in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention.
12. Attend to visitor and staff with vehicle problems.
- Obtain release form for jumpstarting and fix-a-flat.
- Consult with owner about problem.
- Attach battery box to battery and start.
- Attach fix-a-flat to valve stem and pump up tire.
- Consult with owner about options if keys are locked inside.