Rapid Response Team RN | Rapid Response Team
Job Title: Rapid Response Team RN
Job ID: 3576
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-Clinical
Location: Winston SAlem, NC North Carolina
Shift: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
RN with a minimum of 3 years of recent critical care experience for the Rapid Response Team. RN responds to urgent and emergency patient needs, facilitates our sepsis campaign, and is a clinical resource for all staff. The focus of this position is the outpatient and clinic settings. RN will also provide inpatient Rapid Response services as needed.
Position requires excellent customer service, assessment, and critical thinking skills. BLS and ACLS are required. BSN preferred.
Job Code / Title: 8324 / Rapid Response Team RNs
Original Date: June 2004
Last Revision: June 2012
Job Summary: The Rapid Response Team RN utilizes the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) to delegate, coordinate and provide safe, therapeutic nursing care to patients/families. This individual makes independent judgments/decisions and takes action regarding a wide range of routine and complex patient issues, operating under guidelines of the Adult Rapid Response Team Protocols. He/she collaborates with appropriate disciplines to coordinate continuity of patient care from admission through discharge in support of the medical and nursing plans of care. The Rapid Response Team RN acts to support adult inpatient care needs within the Medical Center as well as provide support to the main campus adult Provider Based Clinics (PBC). This includes the care of critically ill patients and transport from an inpatient unit to the ICU or operating room, transfer from PBC to the Emergency Department or the facilitation of admission from PBC to inpatient unit. He/she responds as Code Blue Nurse Coordinator, promoting effective team interactions, patient assessment, ACLS interventions and complete/accurate documentation. He/she responds to and assists with Code Stroke, assisting the Stroke Team with plan of care and CT diagnosis. He/she responds to Code STEMI, assisting first call Provider with EKG interpretation, evaluation and proper unit placement, or assisting with care and assessment in preparation for Cath Lab intervention. Rapid Response is also front line staff in the Code Sepsis process, working with Providers to identify sepsis and initiate appropriate treatment. The Rapid Response Team RN provides house wide support for assessments, specialized equipment, medication administration and a variety of staff needs. The Rapid Response RN may also be activated by family request, providing the same services as staff requests. He/she educates and updates family members as appropriate while working with patients.
Education / Experience: Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing, BCLS required, ACLS required, 2 years critical care experience as an RN
Reports To: Nursing Resources Manager
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of North Carolina.
1. Exemplifies the responsibilities and accountabilities inherent in professional nursing practice.
2. Collaborates with the health care team to meet the immediate needs of the patient and evaluate care outcomes through consultation and information sharing. Communicates in an effective, positive, and professional manner.
3. Utilizes the nursing process to ensure quality patient care is provided throughout the episode of care. Creates and maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for patients, self, co-workers, and facility. Provides a therapeutic environment for thorough, safe, accurate and timely medication and IV administration (including vasoactive drips).
4. Consults with provider team as needed when dealing with complicated patients. Communicates vital patient information to providers. Serves as a liaison between the medical and nursing team.
5. Assists providers with orders such as x-rays and labs. Ensures proper scheduling and follow up of test results for physicians.
6. Assists providers as needed when explaining test results and medications to patients. Serves as a nursing expert of specialized patient care, including direct patient care, assessment, documentation, treatment intervention and patient/family education and support.
7. Takes personal responsibility and initiative for performance and for professional growth and development. Provides appropriate patient care in accordance with Age/Developmental Specific Care Guidelines for the specific age groups served.
8. Coordinates the effective and efficient delivery of patient care and services through application of care management principles. Serves as a role model for effective Code Blue Team response through the coordination of patient resuscitations that foster positive outcomes. Identifies clinical priorities and initiates action to improve patient outcomes. Utilizes broad knowledge base to effectively triage multiple requests for patient assistance.
Demonstrates ability to function in a professional practice model through active participation in shared governance, promotion of a healthy work environment and acceptance of personal responsibility for professional growth.
10. Facilitates timely admission and transfer of all patients.
11. Ensures the quality of professional services by demonstrating and maintaining competency through updating knowledge and skills and continuing professional growth.
Skills and Qualifications:
Critical thinking, delegation and problem solving skills
Broad clinical knowledge base, serves as clinical expert to nursing units
Verbal and non-verbal, written, and listening communication skills
Organizational skills ? ability to handle multiple complex situations simultaneously
Demonstrate on-going involvement in professional nursing.
Ability to demonstrate and perform advanced practice skills, including, Arterial Puncture, arterial sampling from indwelling lines, and Intraosseous Cannulation
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
? Regularly exposed to patient blood products from collecting/procuring specimens and wearing protective equipment in response to the blood products according to OSHA standards.
? Exposed to infectious and contagious diseases (Airborne pathogens, TB, etc.)
? Moderate to high noise environment.
? Physically demanding during transport role.
? Subject to highly stressful condition involving multiple personnel and critically ill or injured patients, or dying patients.
? Handles emergency/crisis situations, highly stressful environments and crowded conditions.
? Subject to many interruptions.
? Handles absentee replacement on short notice
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.
This job qualifies for a $6,000 sign-on bonus, provided the candidate meets the eligibility requirements. Click here to learn more!
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center strives to provide best-in-class nursing care to our patients. To continue to provide such high quality services, meet internal targets and comply with ACCN Magnet requirements for a plan to increase BSN staff to 80% by 2020, WFBMC desires to employ nurses who have achieved, or will achieve, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. WFBMC will provide nurses who have earned an Associate Degree in Nursing a period of five (5) years from the date of hire to meet that educational requirement.