Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Staff Nurse II Adult Behavioral Health
Job ID: 3183
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-Clinical
Location: Winston SAlem, NC North CarolinaNursing-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare7/15/20131 year psychiatric or med-surg experience required. Experienced RN needed for Adult Behavioral Health unit. RN and BLS Required. BSN preferred. Staff Nurse II FLSA: Non-Exempt Original Date: February 1992 Last Revision: October 2012 Job Summary: Provides nursing care to patients using...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Staff-Nurse-II-Adult-Behavioral-Health-3183.htm
Shift 12 Hour Nights and every 3rd weekend
1 year psychiatric or med-surg experience required. Experienced RN needed for Adult Behavioral Health unit. RN and BLS Required. BSN preferred.
The Adult Behavior Health is a 24 bed unit with 8 private rooms and 3 semiprivate rooms. We have a minimum of 4/5 nurses during the day with 1-2 techs. Two nurses participate with our Physicians in rounds or at team meeting during the hours of 8a-10a. The unit is separated into two nursing areas with staff on both sides. You role will include assisting with ADL's, conducting group programming for two distinct populations, admit and discharge patients and monitor visitors between the time of 4p-8pm. We manage bed assignments for our own patients; therefore there are many transfers of patients within the unit requiring patient orientation to their new surroundings and transferring their belongings, meds and charts. Our nurses complete safety rounds Q 15 minutes and cover the Mental Health Tech assignment by dispensing their assigned patients meds, read, and cosign their notes. Nurses cover their own patients when they are on 1:1 and do not have the assistance of the hospital sitter pool. Presently on most days RN's are at a 1:5 patient ratio. There are numerous admissions during the evening hours and a high concentration during the 7p-11p. Most admissions are not scheduled and are coming from mainly the ED or discharge from the hospital and readmitted to Adult Behavioral Health Unit.
You will be joining an experienced nursing team with 85% of our RN staff BSN prepared nurses and about 15% certified in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing. Most of the RN staff years of service is between 10-35 years with a combination of psychiatric and medical surgical skills. Turnover is due to staff going back to school (graduated from NP program) and retirement. Staff Nurse II
Original Date: February 1992
Last Revision: October 2012
Job Summary: Provides nursing care to patients using the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation). The staff nurse directs and leads other assigned team members and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to provide age/developmentally appropriate care in accordance with nursing standards of care and practice.
Education / Experience: Graduation from accredited school of nursing. BSN preferred.
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: RN licensure in NC. Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) may be required within one year in select areas
1. Utilizes the nursing process to provide patient/family centered care focusing on the physical, emotional, spiritual, cultural, religious, and environmental needs. This includes providing for the assessment, development of nursing diagnoses, outcome identification, planning, implementation of interventions, coordination of care, health teaching and promotion and evaluation of goals and interventions consistent with the policies of WFBMC.
2. Maintains a safe, therapeutic, and healing environment through ensuring patient privacy and responsive, respectful, accepting, and professional behavior. Utilizes and promotes the use of technology and equipment to enhance the safety of patients and staff.
3. Communicates effectively to promote sharing of information throughout the continuum of care and as an effective member of the healthcare team.
4. Demonstrates the ability to function in a professional setting through active participation in a professional practice model. This includes participating in shared governance, adherence to standards of care, participation in peer review and professional development promoting leadership and clinical excellence, effective team skills, autonomous practice and acknowledgment of accountability for actions and critical thinking.
5. Acts as a patient advocate throughout the continuum of care including all patient settings and in the community.
6. Coordinates the effective and efficient delivery of patient care services through the application of care management principles. Identifies clinical priorities and initiates action to improve patient outcomes.
7. Demonstrates ability to function in a professional practice model through active participation in shared governance, promotion of a healthy work environment and acceptance of personal responsibility for professional growth.
Skills and Qualifications:
Ability to provide direct and indirect patient care
Verbal and written communication skills
Ability to work collaboratively
Amount of time spent performing the following activities
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
Subject to highly stressful and crowded conditions
Moderate noise environment
Required to wear PPE
Handles emergency or crisis situations
Subject to many interruptions
Handles absentee replacement on short notice
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.
This job qualifies for a $6,000 sign-on bonus, provided the candidate meets the eligibility requirements. Click here to learn more!
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center strives to provide best-in-class nursing care to our patients. To continue to provide such high quality services, meet internal targets and comply with ACCN Magnet requirements for a plan to increase BSN staff to 80% by 2020, WFBMC desires to employ nurses who have achieved, or will achieve, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. WFBMC will provide nurses who have earned an Associate Degree in Nursing a period of five (5) years from the date of hire to meet that educational requirement.