Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare, often life-threatening
illness that develops suddenly after a bacterial infection and can rapidly
affect several different organ systems, including the lungs, kidneys, and
liver. Because toxic shock syndrome progresses quickly, immediate medical
treatment is needed.
Toxic shock syndrome can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes (group A strep) or Staphylococcus aureus
(staph) bacteria. Symptoms of TSS usually include high fever, vomiting and
diarrhea, a rash that looks like a sunburn, and signs of very low blood
pressure and shock, including confusion, fainting, or dizziness.
Toxic shock syndrome can affect men, women, and children. The most
familiar cases of TSS are related to tampon use, but TSS may also be a rare
complication of chickenpox, flu and other respiratory infections, and wounds or
injuries to the skin.
February 23, 2012
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Dennis L. Stevens, MD, PhD - Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
We are happy to take your appointment request over the phone, or, you may fill out an online request form.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.