Radon is a radioactive gas that is released when uranium—a natural
element found in rock and soil—breaks down and decays. Radon can leak from the
ground into a home or other building through cracks in the foundation or gaps
Long-term exposure to radon has been linked to the development of
Radon cannot be detected by human senses because it is odorless,
tasteless, and invisible. But levels can be measured in enclosed spaces
with home test kits. Radon levels in homes and other buildings can be reduced
by methods such as venting the radon out of the soil under the house, moving air through crawl spaces with a fan, and increasing the pressure in basements to prevent radon from seeping in.
December 27, 2012
Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine & R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
We are happy to take your appointment request over the phone, or, you may fill out an online request form.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.