Cardiovascular Imaging at Wake Forest Baptist combines the expertise of the Heart Center and the Radiology Department to detect and diagnose heart disease more accurately – with faster scans that provide clearer images of the heart and cardiovascular structures. These two departments collaborate to give our inpatients and outpatients access to state-of-the-art Cardiac MRI, CT angiography and Cardiac Ultrasound and Stress Testing services.
The cardiologists and radiologists who make our Wake Forest Baptist’s Heart Center a nationally recognized center for cardiovascular imaging are engaged in some of the most cutting-edge research and clinical applications in the field. We utilize the latest state-of-the-art advanced imaging technologies to identify the presence of abnormalities in our patients’ hearts and interpret patient imaging with clarity and precision.
With specialized training and access to resources that are unparalleled in the region, we ensure our patients get the advantage of both the latest in technology and personalized and individualized care that is at the core of the Wake Forest Baptist approach.
Cardiac Ultrasound and Stress Testing
The Wake Forest Baptist Approach
The health care professionals at Wake Forest Baptist’s Heart Center use experience, expertise and teamwork to drive innovation and deliver the best possible care to our patients. We use the latest advancements in technology and therapeutics, provide individualized patient care and utilize quality initiatives to consistently improve and build upon our previous advancements.
Exceptional Care Built from Experience
Wake Forest Baptist’s cardiovascular imaging specialists provide exceptional care through experience. We produce and analyze over 1,100 cardiac MRIs, 17,000 echocardiograms, and 200 cardiac CT scans per year for patients with conditions such as congestive heart failure, and ischemic and valvular heart disease. Our specialists, renowned experts in cardiovascular imaging, are engaged in some of the most cutting-edge research on new technologies and applications to advance the field, including:
- Understanding the mechanisms of heart failure and pulmonary edema (the accumulation of fluid in the lungs)
- Identification of patients suitable for cardiovascular procedures such as stenting, bypass grafting and organ transplantation
- The determination of individuals at risk for future cardiovascular events such as heart attacks, heart failure and strokes
- The detection of individuals at risk for cardiovascular injury after treatment for cancer
- Use of new echocardiographic technology (real-time 3D) to guide heart valvular surgery and non-surgical treatment of valvular disease
Because we specialize in cardiovascular imaging, our clinicians have advanced knowledge of the conditions and diseases that face heart care patients. We offer our patients 24-hour access to leading-edge studies and tests, including real-time three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography, a powerful diagnostic tool for the post-operative heart patient that requires the continual presence of a doctor with in-depth training in how to conduct and interpret the diagnostic procedure.
Imaging Procedures Available
- Exercise Stress Echocardiography
- Pharmacologic Stress Echocardiography
- Cardiac MRI
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- MRI exercise testing
- Nuclear exercise and persantine myoview stress testing
- Real-time 3-D Transesophageal Echocardiography
- 3-D Echocardiography
- Contrast Echocardiography
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Myocardial strain imaging
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
- Non-Imaging Procedures Available
- Pediatric and Routine Treadmill Testing
- Metabolic Bike Testing
- T-wave Alternans Testing