When a mitral valve doesn’t function properly, it can be life-threatening. Structural heart disease treatments to replace the diseased valve can restore good blood flow. However, children can outgrow their replacement valves. Repeat surgeries to adjust and replace valves can put strain on their developing bodies. Adults with leaky mitral valves may also need additional surgeries as well. The Melody® valve is the first FDA-approved valve of its kind, supporting a lifetime of mitral valve disease management with just one replacement procedure.
- The Melody® valve is a specially designed valve that can adjust to fit a variety of sizes:
- The full-size valve allows for treatment in adults.
- Children receive a cinched down version. Advanced technology allows us to adjust the valve as the child grows without needing to perform additional surgeries.
Here’s how it works:
- You receive medication to put you (or your child) to sleep and ease any discomfort.
- An interventional cardiologist makes an incision in your artery and inserts a thin, spaghetti-like tube (catheter) that has a balloon at the tip with the Melody® valve attached.
- The balloon is inflated to open up the Melody valve and place it into position.
- We deflate and remove the balloon and catheter.
- The Melody® valve immediately replaces your old heart valve
- We can adjust the valve using a catheter-based procedure.