Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
Our CARF-Accredited Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation Program serves patients age 13 and older who need intensive rehabilitation due to the loss of physical and/or cognitive function through illness, injury or a disease process. Patients benefit from the expertise of our interdisciplinary rehabilitation team and intensive training for patients, families and caregivers. The Program also offers an on-site school based program for adolescent patients. The rehabilitation team, which includes the patient and family/caregiver, develops an individualized plan of care that guides the treatment process and reflects the specific functional improvement goals of each patient. Patients must be able to participate in at least three hours of physical, occupational, and/or speech therapy five days out of each seven day period.
Our interdisciplinary rehab team includes professionals specializing in:
*These services are provided by team members who are not directly employed by WFBH, but who work very collaboratively with the WFBH Rehab Programs.
Our team knows that each patient is unique, with specific needs, capabilities and potential. Therefore, each patient's treatment is completely individualized and modified as recovery progresses. Together, the rehabilitation team, which includes the patient and family/caregiver, set goals and work together to achieve these goals.
Scope of Services
- Physicians specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR or physiatry) direct the patient's plan of care on a daily basis
- Rehabilitation Nursing is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Each patient receives a minimum of 15 hours of therapy each week, including a combination of physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and/or orthotics/prosthetics training. The types and intensity of therapy is tailored to the needs of each patient.
- Recreation therapy, clinical psychology, neuropsychology, vocational rehabilitation, and assistive technology services are available 5 days a week, and are provided based on the unique needs of each patient.
- Each patient is assigned a Care Coordinator who acts as a liaison between patient, family/caregiver, rehabilitation professionals, and third party payers
- WFBH provides all ancillary services including, but not limited to, Diagnostic Imaging, Laboratory, Pharmacy, Spiritual Care, and Respiratory Therapy
- Consulting physician services for other medical specialities are provided by WFBH, as needed
- If services not available within the Medical Center are needed, referrals, contracts or consultations are made for these services, which may include, but are not limited to: orthotics and prosthetics, durable medical equipment, caregiver/family services, substance abuse counseling, rehab engineering, and driver's assessment and education.
- Rehabilitation Program staff collaborate with acute hospital and outpatient rehabilitation staff to promote coordinated patient care across the continuum.
The ultimate goal is to return each patient to the highest level of independence possible, and in most cases, to return patients to home. Specific treatment goals are individualized for each patient and may include:
- Maximizing function in:
- Activities of daily living
- Communication and cognition
- Bower and bladder management
- Addressing sexuality and family issues
- Disability adjustment and counseling and coping strategies
- Patient and family education for individualized needs