Therapy and Special Programs
The type of therapy each person receives depends on their individual needs and goals.
Patients participating in occupational therapy re-learn activities of daily living, such as feeding, dressing, bathing, toileting, and home and money management. These activities may be practiced to help increase the patient's strength and coordination or improve their thinking skills. The patient may also learn to use new equipment or try new methods to perform a skill. An occupational therapist also may suggest special equipment or other changes that need to be made in the home.
Patients participating in physical therapy will have an exercise program designed to improve their ability to move, strength and balance. If needed, a physical therapist can teach patients how to use a wheelchair, walking aides, and/or other equipment and devices, as well as help in the selection of equipment or home modifications.
Patients participating in speech-language therapy work to improve speech, communication, language, thinking and swallowing skills. Language involves listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills. Thinking skills include memory, problem solving, judgment, attention and organization.
Patients participating in recreation therapy practice activities that involve leisure skills, social interaction, and community re-entry. New ways of doing things may be introduced to help patients continue to participate in previous interests or hobbies. New interests may also be pursued.
Specialized Programs and Services
- Patient/family centered education classes
- Community re-entry outings
- Home evaluations
- Neuropsychological testing
- Peer-mentor support programs
- Caregiver and family support programs
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Physician Services from WFBMC
- Dysphagia treatment including Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation and VitalStim
- Assistive Technology services
- Seating and wheeled mobility evaluation
- Indoor heated therapy pool
- Pet therapy program
- Adaptive gardening program
- School tutoring education program
- Lite Gait system
- Functional electrical stimulation
- Nationally recognized research
- Spacious wheelchair accessible rooms
- Wheelchair accessible showers in all rooms