Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation Program
WFBH's CARF-Accredited Inpatient Stroke Rehab Program uses a partnership approach with the patient, family, and support system to focus on prevention, reducing activity limitations, and maximizing the quality of life for individuals age 13 and older who have experienced a stroke. The Program's effectiveness is attributed to the expertise of its interdisciplinary rehabilitation care team and state-of-the-art technology. The Program also provides patient and family training programs to prepare patients and their families for rehab discharge, to coordinate equipment needs and home modifications, and to provide information on lifetime health and wellness resources.
Our interdisciplinary rehab team includes professionals specializing in:
Physiatry and Neurology
Speech Language Pathology
*These services are provided by team members who are not directly employed by WFBH, but who work very collaboratively with the WFBH Rehab Programs.
Our team knows that each patient is unique, with specific needs, capabilities and potential. Therefore, each patient's treatment is completely individualized and modified as recovery progresses. Together, the rehabilitation team, patient and family set goals and work together to achieve these goals.
Scope of Services
- Physicians specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) or Neurology direct the patient's plan of care on a daily basis
- Rehabilitation Nursing is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy is available 7 days a week
- Recreation therapy, clinical psychology, neuropsychology, vocational rehabilitation, and assistive technology services are available 5 days a week, as needed
- Each patient is assigned a Care Coordinator who acts as a liaison between patient, family/caregiver, rehabilitation professionals, and third party payers
- WFBH provides all ancillary services including, but not limited to, Diagnostic Imaging, Laboratory, Pharmacy, Spiritual Care, and Respiratory Therapy
- Consulting physician services for other specialities are provided by WFBH, as needed
- If services not available within WFBH are needed, referrals, contracts or consultations are made for these services, which may include, but are not limited to: cognitive rehab, durable medical equipment, caregiver/family services, substance abuse counseling, rehab engineering, and driver's assessment and education.
- Rehabilitation Program staff collaborate with acute hospital and outpatient rehabilitation staff to promote coordinated patient care across the continuum.
The Stroke Rehab program uses state-of-the-art procedures and technology for stroke care including:
- Bioness -- Functional electrical stimulation
- Lite Gate -- Partial weight-bearing gait therapy
- VitalStim® -- Swallowing therapy.
The ultimate goal is to return each patient to the highest level of independence possible, and in most cases, to return patients to home. Specific treatment goals are individualized for each patient and may include:
- Maximizing function in:
- Activities of daily living
- Communication and cognition
- Bower and bladder management
- Addressing sexuality and family issues
- Disability adjustment and counseling and coping strategies
- Patient and family education for individualized needs
Helpful Web Links