Collection Development Policy
see also: Recommend for Purchase Form
The Coy C. Carpenter Library Collection Development Committee strives to build and maintain a collection that supports the educational, research, clinical, and management needs of all categories of library users.
Goals and Objectives
I. To obtain, maintain, and deliver a collection that reflects the needs of our users by:
- Input from faculty, students, and staff.
- Acquisition of materials that cover new areas of research and development in the WFBMC community.
- Tracking print, electronic, and Interlibrary Loan usage statistics.
- Awareness of journal Impact Factors.
- Sources which are indexed in major biomedical databases.
- Tracking core collection and vendor lists.
- Providing digital delivery to the users’ desktop/point of care when possible.
II. To ensure the quality of the Collection by:
- Evaluating the selection of materials on a continuous basis.
- Keeping current materials that pertain to the curriculum of the medical school, programs of the Medical Center, and specialized subject areas.
- Maintaining faculty involvement in the development of the collection.
- Weeding materials as appropriate.
III. To inform library users of the growth, changes, and developments that occur in the collection by:
- Periodically publishing lists of new titles and subscriptions
- Providing specialized bibliographies as needed.
- Utilizing contacts with faculty liaisons.
- Including an overview of collection development in tours and orientations of the library.
- Providing an overview of the Collection Development Committee’s goals and objectives on the Library’s homepage.
IV. To periodically revise the policies and procedures of the Collection Development Committee in order to reflect possible philosophical and/or organizational changes.