Community Usage of the Library
Library Policy Governing Community Users:
The Coy C. Carpenter Library of Wake Forest School of Medicine commits itself to providing information services appropriate to achieving the goals of the core mission set forth by the Medical Center.
The Library is a private library designed for use by its affiliated members. Public access can be approved through prior arrangements. All Library users must abide by the strictures of the Medical Center’s Internet use policy:
The Medical Center provides Internet and e-mail resources to be used in a manner consistent with the administrative, clinical, instructional and research objectives of the Medical Center. … Not to engage in any activity that would compromise the security of any Medical Center computer or network system … Not to engage in accessing, viewing or downloading text or video that exceeds the bounds of accepted standards of good taste and ethics; in particular, those sites commonly labeled pornographic web sites.
Borrowing Privileges as well as full use of the Library’s resources are extended to the affiliated private communities of WFBMC and WFU Faculty, Staff, and Students.
Usage by the Affiliated Private Members Includes:
- WFBMC and WFU Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Rotating students from other schools if they are accompanied by a letter from their department or a medical center badge, including pharmacy students.
- Medical Center’s affiliated programs including the Regional Integrated Delivery System Users (WFBMC Community Physicians (formerly Aegis), Lexington Memorial Hospital, Hoots Memorial Hospital, Home Health Specialists, Home Health Solutions, Home Care of Western North Carolina, Triad Radiographic Imaging, Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center, Nursing Center at Oak Summit, Amos Cottage Rehabilitation Hospital, Piedmont Dialysis).
- Forsyth Technical Community College (Faculty & Students in Associate Degree in Nursing, Medical Sonography, Nuclear Medicine Technology, Practical Nursing, Radiation Therapy Technology, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Care Technology, Vascular/Cardiovascular Interventional Technology);
- Winston-Salem State University (Faculty & Students in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Bachelor’s degree in Nursing).
Usage by the General Public:
- Non-Affiliated Members of the Community may, at the discretion of the Library, purchase a Library card for an annual fee of $100.00 which entitles them to check materials out of the Library as well as use its resources within the Library for the purpose of research.
- Patients and their Families may use the Library.
- Students from other schools (e.g. Salem College; UNC-G) will be admitted if they display their student id.
- Students from local high schools will need to call ahead to make an appointment.