1950s at Baptist
- South Wing (1954)
- Davis Chapel (1956)
South Wing (1954)
With the addition of the South Wing, North Carolina Baptist Hospital now had a total of 414 beds. The 150 new beds helped to alleviate the increasing need for health care facilities. The radiology department and dietary facilities were enlarged with the help of the South Wing.
Not everyone wanted to expand on the current Medical Center campus. Many Winston-Salem leaders proposed that instead of building what would become the South Wing, the hospital and medical school be relocated to Graylyn, where the medical center facilities could be twice the size as its location on Hawthorne Hill. Hospital Trustees decided against this idea and continued development at its current location.
This photograph was taken in the early 1970's during the Reynolds Tower construction. This view of South Wing is from the roof of the power plant.
Davis Chapel (1956)
Davis Memorial Chapel was constructed as a memorial to Mrs. Annie Pearl Shore Davis and in honor of Egbert L. Davis, Sr. Construction for the Chapel began on August 12, 1954 and ended by 1956. When Davis Chapel was built, its location was conveniently adjacent to the main entrance of the hospital. Today it is next door to Watlington Hall.
According to the Davis Memorial Chapel Brochure, "The building is of Tudor Gothic style architecture with an exterior of old Colonial brick and Indiana limestone. Adding to the beauty of the interior are antiquated silver light fixtures, hand-wrought ornamental hardware, and the Schlicker organ which was especially built to harmonize with the design and purpose of the Chapel."
"The Davis Memorial Chapel was inspired by and is a tribute to the gentle Christian life of Mrs. Annie Pearl Shore Davis, who died October 13, 1942. An important part of Mrs. Davis' life was spent visiting patients in the Baptist Hospital, bringing words of cheer together with flowers from her own garden." Atlas Supply Company, led by Egbert Lawrence Davis, built the Chapel in memory of his late wife, Mrs. Annie Shore Davis.
Egbert Lawrence Davis, Sr. was born in Yadkin County in 1882 and married Annie Pearl Shore in 1907. E.L. Davis, Sr. helped found Baptist Hospital in 1923 and was the first chairman of the board of trustees. He also played an important role in moving Wake Forest's medical school to Winston-Salem. E.L. Davis, Sr. died in 1974.