Dr. James Maxwell Little
Dr James Maxwell Little
Dr. Little served on the faulty at Bowman Gray School of medicine for 40 years. He arrived here in 1941 as assistant professor of physiology and pharmacology and served until 1946. In 1946, he was promoted to associate professor of physiology and pharmacology. He served as chairperson of the pharmacology section from 1949 until 1963 when he became chairperson of the pharmacology department until 1973. He also served as assistant dean of student admissions from 1957 to 1960.
Dr. Little was born in Commerce, Georgia. he received his A.B. and M.S. degrees at Emory University in 1932 and 1933, respectively. His PhD. degree in biochemistry was awarded from Vanderbilt University in 1941.
Dr. Little was well-known for his achievements in the development of therapeutic drugs and for his productivity in the laboratory. Other scientific interests of his were renal function and fluid and salt balance.
In Dr. Little's oral history, he talks about the following subjects: departments of physiology and pharmacology;Herbert Wells; Coy Carpenter; George Harrell; A.H. Robins Company; Graduate Education; Herbert Vann; Tinsley Harrison; Frank Lock; Admissions; Winston-Salem; World War II; Reynolds Scholarship Program and more.
Listen to an audio excerpt.