Mobile Computing Resources
scan with your phone for quick access to this page
WFBMC-Specific Mobile Apps
Haiku - mobile access to WakeOne
ICD-10 Coding App - email email@example.com and specify if you need the iPhone or Android version.
Library-Licensed Mobile Apps
These resources require a separate (free) account; easiest to register on-campus using a desktop computer:
- UpToDate Anywhere Mobile App for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows 8 tablet (formerly only for individual subscribers). Register from the UpToDate website, and get the app from iTunes, Android or Microsoft Store. Free CME included. See this page or the UpToDate FAQ (PDF) for more information.
- AccessMedicine - for iPhone and Android - Create a personal account by clicking Wake Forest University in the upper-right corner of the AccessMedicine page, and install the app that includes Diagnosaurus, Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests, and more. You can also use the AccessMedicine Mobile View, which works fine on a variety of platforms.
- ClinicalKey - for iOS and Android - Register at ClinicalKey and use that username and password for the app. The same account info can be used for the FirstConsult app (iOS only).
- Mobile Micromedex - for iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and Android. On the Micromedex site, click Download Center at the top of the page to access instructions and a password for the app.
- StatRef! Mobile - includes MedCalc 3000 - for iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry. See complete instructions on the StatRef website.
* Some mobile apps require specifying a proxy for access off-campus:
BrowZine - allows you to browse, read and monitor many of the library’s subscription journals from your phone or tablet (iOS, Android, or Fire HD). Create a personal bookshelf of favorite journals, and articles may be synced up with Zotero, Dropbox or Mendeley. To download, search for “BrowZine” in the App Store or Google play and get the app; when initially launching BrowZine, select WFU and subject area Biomedical and Health Sciences.
Docphin - use from your desktop and/or from iPhone/iPad or Android devices. Select your favorite journals (suggestions are based on specialty, but you can search for any), and it will give you the table of contents with links to individual articles. Select Wake Forest University when you register and it will link to our subscribed journals. Will prompt you for medctr credentials off-campus.
iPhone/iPad apps - the app is free, but access to the journal content requires individual subscriptions. Most journals will not let you use with institutional subscriptions with their apps (see Docphin and BrowZine, above).
ScienceDirect content is now optimized for mobile.
- PubMed Mobile is now available for use with Smartphones and other mobile devices. When accessing this link off-campus, you will be prompted for your Medical Center user name and password, so that you'll have full-text access to our subscribed journals. PubMed Mobile does not include specialized search pages, such as Limits and Advanced search, or added features, such as My NCBI, Clipboard, or LinkOut/Outside Tool. To use these and other PubMed features, display your retrieval in Standard PubMed via the link at the bottom of each screen.
- Mobile Medline Plus - an excellent site for consumers, now in mobile format, from the National Library of Medicine. Also in Spanish.
- Other National Library of Medicine Mobile Applications
- SkyScape Clinical Calculator (formerly Archimedes)- specialty calculator with formulas ranging from Aa Gradient to Weights. Also includes formulas for Cardiology, Pharmacology, Hematology, FEN, Pediatrics, Pulmonary and Renal.
- iMedicalApps - reviews and commentary by medical professionals for iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry
- See also their links to academic medical journals - the apps are free, but access to the journal content requires individual subscriptions. Most journals will not let you use our institutional subscriptions.
- Diagnosaurus - 1000+ differential diagnoses. Explore by disease, symptom, or organ system. Cross-linked to related entries.
- statcoder.com - comprehensive diagnosis coding tools for the handheld. Free demos of STAT E&M Coder and STAT ICD-10 Coder and full free versions of STAT Cholesterol and STAT GrowthCharts.