NIH Public Access Policy Compliance
How to Comply with the NIH Public Access Policy (NIHPA)
All peer-reviewed journal articles arising from NIH funds (whole or in part) accepted for publication after April 7, 2008, must be submitted to PubMed Central (PMC) upon acceptance and made publicly available no more than 12 months after appearing in a journal.
A small group of publishers (Method A) will automatically deposit all papers to PMC with little or no action from the author(s). The larger group of major publishers will begin the submission process for the author(s), but require some review and/or approval from the author(s). And finally, a few publishers require that authors submit the final peer-reviewed manuscript in PMC through the NIH Manuscript Submission System.
For non-competing continuation grant awards with a start date of July 1, 2013 or beyond:
- NIH will delay processing of an award if publications arising from it are not in compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy.
- Investigators will need to use MyNCBI to enter papers onto progress reports. Papers can be associated electronically using the RPPR (Research Performance Progress Report), or included in the PHS 2590 using the My NCBI generated PDF report.
NIH grantees need to demonstrate compliance with the Public Access Policy when submitting an application, proposal, or progress report to the NIH. Grantees should include the PubMed Central (PMC) reference number for each paper that was accepted for publication after April 7, 2008 and was authored or co-authored by the applicant or arose from their NIH award.
Services available from Carpenter Library
- Advice on how to comply
- Presentations to individuals or groups
- Research publisher policies
- Locate publisher contact information
- Assist with first-time submission
- Locate PMCID reference numbers
- Help with NIH Biosketch and SciENcv.
For more information contact the Carpenter Library at 713-7100.
Find A Doctor
Ways to Give
1st Floor, Gray Building
Front Desk 336-716-4414
Main Campus-1st FL Gray
Mon-Thu 7 am - Midnight
Fri 7 am - 6 pm
Sat 10 am - 6 pm
Sun 1 pm - Midnight
Student Resource Center
3rd FL BGSME
Sun - Thu Noon - 8 pm
Fri - Sat Noon - 6 pm
Carpenter Library will be CLOSED Mon- Jan.16th in observance of MLK Jr Birthday. The Library is open to the public by prior arrangement only during regular operating hours.