| || || |
| Dr. Alain Bertoni|| Michael Kennedy|| Winona Gilbert|
| Core Director|| Director of Finance|| Project Coordinator|
The Administrative Core is responsible for providing overall scientific, organizational, and fiscal direction and quality control for the Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity Center of Excellence (MACHE COE). The Maya Angelou Center for Health Equity (MACHE) is housed within Wake Forest Health Sciences (WFHS), an academic medical center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The MACHE was founded in 2002 through the vision of Dr. Maya Angelou, internationally renowned author and civil rights advocate, and senior administrators at the WFHS.
Specific Functions and Administrative Structure:
- Provide overall scientific leadership and direction for the COE;
- Coordinate the overall activities, resources, and compliance responsibilities (IRB) with the COE;
- Integrate the functions of the COE cores and projects and maintain scientific coherence to increase efficient use of core resources, ensure access of investigators to core resources, and facilitate communication;
- Assure the integration of COE resources and functions with other research and training opportunities and leverage institutional resources;
- Facilitate and support scientific interactions among the research project investigators, the cores, and integrate these with the associated educational and community outreach activities;
- Establish and maintain internal and external partnerships that are essential to increase the effectiveness and sustainability of the COE;
- Promote quality, productivity, and efficiency (timeliness) in all COE activities;
- Coordinate scientific collaboration with other academic institutions, including regional HBCUs with whom we are currently partnering, to attract new researchers to the field of health disparities/health equity research;
- Arrange meetings of the COE National Advisory Board;
- Conduct semi-annual reviews of the research projects.