About Medical Genetics
Clinical Genetics Services
We offer comprehensive Clinical Genetics services, including evaluation of children and adults suspected of having a variety of genetic conditions, as well as Genetic Counseling for patients and families. The staff includes 2 board certified Clinical Geneticists and 3 board certified Genetic Counselors. We also have a multidisciplinary clinic for Neurogenetic disorders, and participate in the Cleft/Craniofacial clinics with Plastic Surgery.
Genetic Laboratory Services
Wake Forest Baptist offers a variety of genetic laboratory services:
- WFU Medical Genetic Laboratories are one of the oldest in the nation (founded in 1961).
- WFU Medical Genetic Laboratories are certified by the Department of Health and Human Services Clinical Laboratory Amendments (CLIA) and the College of Laboratory Pathology (CAP).
- The Cytogenetic Laboratory is this region's only CALGB (Cancer and Leukemia Group-B) and COG (Children’s Oncology Group) approved laboratory.
- All laboratory testing is performed on site unless otherwise specified.
- Laboratory Directors are certified through the American College of Physicians by The American College of Medical Genetics.
- The laboratory primarily serves area hospitals, physician’s offices and clinics in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, western North Carolina and surrounding states.