There are enormous benefits to receiving care via an ALSA-Certified Center of Excellence. The ALS Clinic at WFBMC receives significant funding from the North Carolina chapter of the ALSA to provide experienced and expert care for ALS patients and families.
Research has shown that specialized ALS care for patients results in a longer lifespan with higher quality of life than is achieved with standard, non-multidisciplinary care. With this assistance, the ALS Clinic can:
- Involve all necessary health care disciplines in the care of the ALS patient and their families
- Offer care from an experienced team of people specially trained to meet the needs of those living with ALS, regardless of their insurance status
- Collaborate with other certified ALS Centers to enhance ALS patient care
The ALS Association selects, certifies and supports distinguished regional institutions recognized as the best in the field with regard to knowledge of and experience with ALS. During clinic days, in addition to a physician visit, the WFBMC ALS Clinic provides these licensed and certified ancillary services:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Registered dietician services
- PhD psychology or psychiatry
- Speech and language pathology
- MSW social work services
- Communication specialist
- ALSA chapter representative
- Hospice representative
Following clinic days, this team meets to discuss patient problems and works together to find solutions to physical, emotional and financial burdens. We have many success stories to share with you!
Please check out the programs offered by the North Carolina chapter of ALSA by visiting www.alsnc.org, and learn how your support can help.