Hand, Shoulder and Elbow Care
Upper Limb Spasticity
Upper limb spasticity is a condition where patients suffer clenching muscle spasms due to neurological damage from stroke or cerebral palsy. While not life threatening, upper limb spasticity greatly diminishes a person's quality of life and makes simple tasks, such as getting dressed or washing one's hands, nearly impossible.
Upper Limb Spasticity: Why Choose Wake Forest?
At Wake Forest Baptist Health, we offer a full array of surgical and non-operative treatments. Our team includes a number of specialists with experience not only diagnosing and treating upper limb spasticity, but also researching new treatment possibilities. We offer:
- Wake Forest Spasticity Clinic: Our clinic includes specialists in neurology, orthopaedics, pediatrics and physical and occupational therapy. Learn more about our Spasticity Clinic.
- Innovative Medical Treatments: Our doctors pioneered the use of botulinum A toxin, commonly called Botox, to treat upper limb spasticity in adults and children with cerebral palsy.
- Expertise: Our doctors are experts and leading researchers on advanced treatments for upper limb spasticity. Meet our hand, shoulder and elbow specialists.
- Personalized Care: Our goal is to customize a treatment that gets you back to your desired activity level as fast as possible.
Advanced Treatments at Wake Forest Spasticity Clinic
The Wake Forest Spasticity Clinic provides expert diagnosis and treatment for adults and children with upper limb spasticity. Our goals are controlling your symptoms and restoring function so your arm movement is as normal as possible.
Our clinic includes a number of specialists, including neurologists, pediatricians and physical and occupational therapists. We design personalized treatment plans for every patient because not all cases of spasticity are the same. We consider the severity of each patient's condition, their goals and other health factors to find the best treatment option.
Our treatments include:
- Oral medications
- Injections, including Botox
- Physical and occupational therapy
Treating Upper Limb Spasticity with Botox at Wake Forest
At Wake Forest Baptist, our doctors are some of the nation's leading experts in treating spasticity. Our doctors have led the way developing new treatments for this movement disorder.
Our doctors were the first to show that Botox is an effective treatment for spasticity, especially in cases where it affects the wrists and fingers. Our clinical trials included the largest study to date evaluating Botox treatment for post-stroke spasticity. This treatment approach earned FDA approval. Learn more about Wake Forest's pioneering work with Botox.
Surgery to Correct Upper Limb Spasticity
Orthopedic surgery can be used to treat severe upper extremity spasticity. The surgeon makes an incision in the skin over the affected muscle such as the biceps or triceps tendon of the arm, and then cuts parts of the muscle to release the tightness.
Request an appointment online.