Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeons & Sports Physicians
Our specialized team includes sports orthopedic surgeons and physicians who are fellowship-trained in Sports Medicine. That means they have completed a nationally-recognized, highly-competitive program to become experts in sports medicine.
Our sports medicine physicians are exposed to the widest range of patients and the latest research because they work at an academic medical center. Some are even leading the charge to develop new treatments for common injuries. Learn more about our research.
Respected Experts in Sports Medicine
Many of our team members are pioneers in their field. They are experts in the most complicated surgical procedures that aren't widely available, such as hip arthroscopy, and are researching better ways to repair tissue so patients recover faster. Here are just a few of our sports orthopaedic surgeons' and sports physicians' accomplishments:
- Dr. Allston Stubbs performs more than 200 hip arthroscopic procedures a year - well above the national average. Wake Forest Baptist Health is one of the few hospitals on the East Coast that offers this highly-specialized procedure.
- Dr. Cristin Ferguson has received federal grants to study the meniscus. She wants to find ways to rebuild it to better treat tears.
- Dr. Gary Poehling, one of our expert sports medicine orthopaedic surgeons, was among the first in the country to perform arthroscopy and is the editor-in-chief of the world's leading arthroscopy journal.
- Dr. David Martin is the current president of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, which establishes educational standards for orthopaedic residents and evaluates the qualifications and knowledge of sports orthopaedic surgeons.
- Drs. Martin, Stubbs and Ferguson hold subspecialty certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.
Learn more about our cutting-edge research to improve the sports medicine field.
Meet Our Sports Medicine Physicians
Family and Community Sports Medicine Physicians
Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Surgeons
You may request an appointment online with a Wake Forest Baptist sports medicine physician.