Blood and Marrow Transplant Lab
The laboratory provides hematopoietic progenitor cell processing and storage support for the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program.
The laboratory operates 7 AM to 4 PM Monday through Friday. Services include the processing and storage of peripheral blood and bone marrow derived hematopoietic progenitor cells. Procedures are available for autologous and allogeniec red cell depletion, plasma depletion, buffy coat preparation, extended interval cryopreservation, mononuclear cell separation and subset isolation.
Instrumentation and Facility:
- Three biological safety cabinets with class II, type A processing capability of cells and tissues;
- Coulter® complete blood count analysis;
- Methylcellulose-based stem cell culture;
- Compensated controlled rate freezing; and
- Liquid nitrogen, vapor and liquid phase, progenitor cell storage.
- Bone Marrow processing (buffy coat isolation, mononuclear cell isolation, CD34+ cell-enrichment, RBC-depletion, plasma-depletion), controlled-rate freezing and storage, -120ºC or -196ºC: Autologous and Allogeneic
- Processing, freezing and storage of Hematopoietic Growth Factor - mobilized Peripheral Blood Stem Cells
- Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Assay with or without tests for autologous plasma inhibitors
- Erythropoietin-independent Erythroid Progenitor Proliferation (p. vera assay)
- Donor Lymphocyte processing, freezing and storage
T-cell isolation from small volumes of peripheral blood (10-20mL)
Availability of Products (BMT):
- Unfrozen allogeneic products are usually available on the day the sample is collected or the next day (for long protocols or late marrow receipts). Frozen products are available as needed.
- Autologous products are frozen and are available when needed (scheduled transplant).
- Progenitor Cell Assay results are available after 15 days.
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy
- FDA registered HPC laboratory