Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund
Why should I help the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund?
The availability of psychiatric services in the North Carolina Triad Region is critically dependent on the number of excellent psychiatry residents-in-training at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Our resident physicians cared for 1,791 psychiatric emergency patients in our Emergency Department in 2007 and also treated 916 hospitalized adults and 499 hospitalized children in 2007.
After their training is finished, these young doctors become the backbone of psychiatric care in our community mental health facilities, state hospitals, Veteran’s Administration Clinic, and private practices. In fact, 83 % of our 2005 graduates took their first job in the Triad.
The bottom line is this – our ability to attract and train the best psychiatry residents-in-training will determine access to, as well as the quality of, psychiatric services in the North Carolina Triad.
What will the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund do?
The fund will give Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center a competitive edge in attracting the best and brightest graduating medical students to our Psychiatry Residency. The competition for applicants is fierce as we try to distinguish ourselves from regional programs such as Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and others. To this end, the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund will provide an array of educational opportunities that presently have no secure source of funding year-to-year. As you may be aware, federal funding for residency education support was capped in 1996. Your gift to this fund will help provide educational opportunities for trainees such as:
- Travel costs to attend professional and scientific meetings
- Visiting professors to enhance the program
- Membership in professional groups such as the American Psychiatric Association
- Educational resources such as textbooks and software
This fund is restricted to the improvement of psychiatry education, and donations and the fund’s income cannot be used for any other purpose.
How can I help?
To help our educational process succeed, please consider a tax-deductible gift to the Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund. Here are two ways to help:
- Submit a gift on-line. Fill in and submit the on-line form. (Please select the “Psychiatry Education Fund” on the “Gift Designation” selector.)
- Complete the printable Psychiatry Education Endowment Fund contribution form and mail it with your check to the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs at the indicated address.
Thank you for your gift of support.