Important Facts About Uterine Fibroids:
- Fibroids that do not cause symptoms do not need treatment.
- Fibroids that do cause symptoms can be treated in a variety of different ways, and often without hysterectomy.
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is an FDA-approved treatment for uterine fibroids that avoids many of the potential pitfalls of surgery.
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors that form in the wall of the uterus. Fibroid tumors are extremely common, with as many as three out of four American women having fibroids at some point during their life. Fibroids are often asymptomatic, and for that reason most women are not even aware of their fibroids.
Some women do experience significant symptoms, including heavy menstrual cycles, pelvic pain, urinary symptoms and even infertility. Symptoms can be severe enough to result in significant physical, psychological and professional impairment.
There are many potential treatment options for symptomatic uterine fibroids. Unfortunately, many women are often not aware of all of their options and instead settle for a hysterectomy for treatment. That is why fibroids remain the main reason why hysterectomy is performed in the United States. This is amazing given that there are now many options available which allow women to avoid the potential risks and lengthy recovery of fibroid surgery.
Wake Forest Baptist Health offers Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE), which is an FDA-approved, minimally invasive alternative to hysterectomy.
When compared to hysterectomy, UFE:
- Requires no surgical incision
- Allows for significantly quicker recovery and return to normal life
- Maintains the potential for future fertility
To learn more about this treatment or to arrange a consultation please call 336-713-1000.
Brian Kouri, MD, specializes in the treatment of uterine fibroids and Uterine Fibroid Embolization. He has been involved in the treatment of uterine fibroids for over 10 years. Appointments with Dr. Kouri may be requested by calling 336-713-1000 or request an appointment online.