Top 10 Tips for Kids
Andre & Calvin’s Top 10 Tips for Kids
As the offspring of the Dog Whisperer, you definitely learn a thing or two about dogs. Being around dogs, big and small, aggressive and shy, old and young,
Andre and Calvin Millan have picked up on some of their father’s methods and techniques and want to share some of the most important tips for kids they have learned along the way.
1. Never approach any strange dog.
2. Never pet a dog, no matter how cute, unless the owner or a responsible adult tells you it’s ok.
3. Practice the no touch, no talk, no eye contact rule when you first meet a dog. If she licks you, she likes you.
4. Don’t run away from a growling dog—she’ll only chase after you. Stay calm, hold your ground, don’t look at her, and wait for help.
5. Don’t play with a dog that’s overexcited. Playful energy is good, hyper energy is bad.
6. Make sure you’re really ready to be responsible before asking your parents for a dog. It’s a lot of work.
7. Walk your dog every day!
8. Pitch in with the whole family to take care of your dog when it comes to feeding, cleaning up, and health care. Your dog will appreciate it.
9. Give your dog exercise, discipline, and then affection. No skipping straight to affection, no matter how much you may want to!
10. Practice calm-assertive energy. That means stay cool, balanced, and balanced around your dog. (This helps in school when you’re taking a test too!)
“I believe that kids with pets, especially dogs, develop a better sense of empathy for the people and animals around them,” said Cesar. “They learn how to care for another living being and how to put another’s well-being before their own.”